Cordova iOS app to Windows 8 app Porting

Question

• Hi we have developed an iOS cordova app using sencha frame work for UI and we want to port it to windows 8.

so below are few questions I had :-

1) The UI design is not the metro UI design which is followed for windows store apps , if we continue with the same design will the app get rejected in the windows store after submission ?

2) In iOS we are displaying online pdf , xls , txt , jpg , png , doc , docx , ppt , pptx formats in the web browser as iOS browser supports these formats , Is there any WinJS or native control in windows 8 to display online pdf , xls , txt , jpg , png , doc , docx , ppt , pptx format urls within the application and not launch it in other supported file format app.

3) In iOS there is a Cordova SQLite plugin available , So is the any SQLite plugin or support in Windows 8 in JavaScript.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Ashish,

For your questions.

1) The UI design is not the metro UI design which is followed for windows store apps , if we continue with the same design will the app get rejected in the windows store after submission ?

-> Basically we have the design guideline: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465424.aspx, you should be able to find more information from the link I provided.

Basically you may need test your app with the Windows App Certification Kit before you submit it to the Store to ensure your submission will be fine. Here are some App submission checklist, for your reference.

2) In iOS we are displaying online pdf , xls , txt , jpg , png , doc , docx , ppt , pptx formats in the web browser as iOS browser supports these formats , Is there any WinJS or native control in windows 8 to display online pdf , xls , txt , jpg , png , doc , docx , ppt , pptx format urls within the application and not launch it in other supported file format app.

->As I know if you trying to display some doc, ppt or excel, Windows Phone will launch Excel App or Word App for you to open the files but it will not displaying the online stuff in the app. How to launch the default app for a URI could explain more for you.

3) In iOS there is a Cordova SQLite plugin available , So is the any SQLite plugin or support in Windows 8 in JavaScript.

-> Yes, there is, See my previous post for more information about this: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/50f96ed7-0f95-435c-95a5-c18f3a54142d/how-to-use-sqlitenet-to-windows-8-javascript-app?forum=winappswithhtml5

Hope helps.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 4:19 AM