none
Access 2010 Professional Plus and Calculated field in Subform Footer not working RRS feed

• Question

• A client recently had a new computer with Windows 10, and Access 2010 Pro Plus installed. An Access database originally created in Access 2003, but converted to 2010 *accdb was working fine until the system change.

Front end on her computer, Backend on a Windows Server (possibly 2008)

The database has forms with a subform that contains a calculated field in the footer of the form=Sum([rate]*[totalunits])

The form has the fields [rate] and [totalunits] in the form, ControlSource= Name

The field is not calculating, Refresh does not work as it finds the results = null

I believe this problem is due to the upgrade to Access 2010 Pro Plus.
    Other comments/questions on this subject from 2013-2016 indicate that the solution was rebooting, which was needed to do every 20 days.  The reboot on the Front End made no difference, I have not approached IT to reboot the server - but it would not be practical to have to reboot often to fix this problem.

Is Microsoft aware of the problem?  Do they have a fix to the upgrade?  As the client buys into every MS upgrade, will this continue to degrade my Access database with subsequent Office upgrades?

Saturday, September 2, 2017 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi, I don't think any calculation set on the front end executes on the server unless you're users are sharing a single FE from the server, which is against best practices. If you run the FE locally, do you still get the same problem? Make sure the FE is stored in a Trusted Location and Content is enabled.
    Saturday, September 2, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Hello,

Could you reproduce the issue on other computer? Would it work if you create a new database in Access 2010?

>>Other comments/questions on this subject from 2013-2016 indicate that the solution was rebooting, which was needed to do every 20 days.

Do you mean the issue exists in Office2013/Office 2016 and rebooting would fix it temporarily.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 4, 2017 7:23 AM
  • There was a problem that was fixed long ago with an update, so the first thing to do is ensure that the computers involved are all completely up-to-date.

You could also try the approach I develop for one of my clients which can be found at http://www.devhut.net/2017/08/18/calculated-control-blankemptynull/ who knows, it might work for you as well.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Monday, September 4, 2017 10:57 PM