password protect web pages on a window hosted server RRS feed

• Question

• how can I password protect a web page or folder on my web sites that are hosted on a window based server?

Ray

Ray Pierangeli

Friday, January 4, 2013 10:30 PM

Answers

• Yes file level authorization is possible, the simplest way is to add location sections in web.config. People use this to disallow access to all but the login page and its resources, and you just need to revert the setting to expose all but a few pages and folders. 

Visual C++ MVP

Saturday, January 5, 2013 3:21 AM

All replies

• Yes this is possible, see Windows Live Skydrive. I am not sure what server framework your web site uses, if it is asp.net, it has built-in membership APIs and AccountController.

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, January 4, 2013 11:04 PM
  • I'm using Expression Web to do my development and I'm aware of the built-in membership capability, however, I thought that it secured the entire website. I need to secure a sub set of my web sites. In one case it's a wb page in another it's a folder.

Your thoughts?

ray

Ray Pierangeli

Saturday, January 5, 2013 12:54 AM
  • Yes file level authorization is possible, the simplest way is to add location sections in web.config. People use this to disallow access to all but the login page and its resources, and you just need to revert the setting to expose all but a few pages and folders. 

Visual C++ MVP

Saturday, January 5, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Ray Pierangeli

Saturday, January 5, 2013 2:29 PM