none
Tool to migrate configuration and customizations across environments in Ms Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to know about tools and utilities to migrate MS Project Server 2010 customizations and configurations from one environment to other. The configurations to be migrated include Templates, EPT, custom fields, Lookups and Resoures.

I explored Playbook Tool for migartion of configurations. However, PlayBook doesn't migrate configurations from HTTP PWA site to HTTP PWA site.

Could you please provide details of the tools and utilities for migration?

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Abhijit PS,

I don't think there is a complete tool to do what you want. Playbooks is the only MS tool, FluentPro also make one.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:33 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to Ben's excellent answer, I'd mention that the Playbook has some limitations as you already experienced. Indeed the resources are not imported and neither the PDPs. As per the customizations The FluentPro tool might offer a broader range of functionalities.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 4:02 PM
  • Would the selective Backup and Restore as per the below mentioned links work? i.e. Backup selective elements such as Enterprise custom field, Enterprise global template and View definition from Server Settings - manual backup. These items can be restored by Restore functionality of MS Project Server 2010.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 4:09 PM
  • The backup-restore PWA feature only works in the same instance. I'd suggest you to use the playbook for basic need (calendar, custom field, lookup table, EPT, server settings...) and switch to a 3rd party tool in case you have a recurring need to transfer heavy and complex customizations and hundreds of PDPs.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 4:12 PM
  • Can playbook migrate basic configuration items from HTTP PWA site to HTTPS PWA site?I tried and facing issues in export and import.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 4:27 PM
  • If it doesn't work in your case over https, you can try to extend your web application to http and use for the migration only. The extended/AAM can be deleted afterwards

Paul

Thursday, November 6, 2014 11:08 AM
  • I created an AAM for HTTP site. However, I get a message from Playbook tool that the site cannot be reached.

Is there any setting required to connect to https site from PlayBook.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Have you tried accessing the PWA from IE? Also check if adding the PWA URL to the intranet area in IE helps?

Another thing, make sure the user accessing the PWA is an Admin

Paul

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:52 PM
  • PWA is accessible from IE. PWA URL has been added to Intranet area in IE. The user accessing PWA is an Admin.

However, i till get the message that Site cannot reached message when using PlayBook.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 9:45 AM