none
Cannot change installation folder from desktop

Question

• Hi, i downloaded VS2015 onto C:\Users\user_name\desktop but i do not want the cluttered folders on my desktop. I uninstalled Visual Studio and tried to run it again, but the installation folder still is grayed out. Can someone help me fix this or show me how to move the folders without the error of not being able to find file?
    Friday, September 23, 2016 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Sora Kayy,

How do you uninstall your Visual Studio, through Control Panel or use command line "vs_enterprise.exe /uninstall /force"?

If uninstall through Control Panel, please uninstall it through command "vs_enterprise.exe /uninstall /force", which will uninstall Visual Studio and all other related files. And then try reinstall it again.

If uninstall through command line but the problem still exist, please try with following steps to change the installation path.

1. Copy the path that you want to install.
    2. Open regedit.
    3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData Here there should be 2 folders called something like S-1-5-18 and S-1-5-21-345634235-23423416487. Just start with the one with the smallest number.
    4. Go into the Components folder, and here you should see many folders with numbers and letters as name. Right click on the first of these, and click Search.
    5. Paste the path from step 1. here, and make sure that the 3 top boxes are checked.
    6. Right-click the first result of the search and click export. Save it somewhere you remember, then right-click it again and delete it this time.
    7. Run the VS2015 setup again (vs_community.exe) and check if you can change the path now. If not go back to 5. and continue.

Please refer to:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33491016/visual-studio-installation-path-grayed-out

In addition, please try run the command "vs_enterprise.exe /CustomInstallPath "Your Custom Path"" to assign the installation path.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, September 26, 2016 8:05 AM