none
How to host "app for Office" in windows azzure cloud service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can we host "app for office" applications on windows azzure host? If so on which role it has to be hosted (worker role/ web role)?

While packaging the "app for Office" application for creating manifest file we need to provide the URL of our application where it is running.

If my understanding is correct,  first we need to host our "office apps" in azzure cloud service and azzure will create unique URL for each service we host in the storage. Using that URL we will have to package the "office app" (basically creating manifest xml file, which will be uploaded to seller dashboard) in order to publish it in the office store. Please let me know whether my understanding is correct or not.

Thanks

Prapthi

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:22 PM

Answers

• Yes - Azure is a great place to host your app for Office solution, if you look at the "Bubbles" app in the Office Store you'll see that is exactly what we do. An app is just a web page with hooks into the document it is inserted into so you should be able to get going pretty easily.

Once in Azure you can choose to just get a web site host, or a full OS (and then use other server-side technologies like PHP/Ruby etc)

You can start with a free trial here: http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/

We have additional guidance on the way over the next few months on how to easily integrate this with an Office 365 site so you'd have the choice of using the SharePoint App Catalog to host your apps if you don't want them in the Office Store (or alternatively just use a file share catalog to host your manifests)

Hope this helps...pc

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:16 AM

All replies

• Yes - Azure is a great place to host your app for Office solution, if you look at the "Bubbles" app in the Office Store you'll see that is exactly what we do. An app is just a web page with hooks into the document it is inserted into so you should be able to get going pretty easily.

Once in Azure you can choose to just get a web site host, or a full OS (and then use other server-side technologies like PHP/Ruby etc)

You can start with a free trial here: http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/

We have additional guidance on the way over the next few months on how to easily integrate this with an Office 365 site so you'd have the choice of using the SharePoint App Catalog to host your apps if you don't want them in the Office Store (or alternatively just use a file share catalog to host your manifests)

Hope this helps...pc

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:16 AM
  • Is the server side code for "Bubbles" available for us to take a look at anywhere?

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:48 PM
  • this is all  client side code, check this page out

http://processingjs.org/

Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

I tried to host my app on azure but i realized that the free trial account will get expired after 1 month. Is there any workaround to this problem. I am unable to understand host to host my app for free in office store . Can you please help me with the same .

Thanks,

Divya

Sunday, December 1, 2013 11:34 AM