use a portion of existing jpg image RRS feed

• Question

• Hello out there!  I'm very knew to Expression Design.  I have a .jpg image in which there is a part of it that i want to use in a design that I'm making.  How do I extract or copy the part that I want to use. I started using the pen to make an outline of what i liked.  However, when I paste it to a new document, I haven't been able to make a path out of all the anchors.  I'm obviously missing something.

Thanks for your help!
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 9:51 PM

Answers

• if you want to use only the image of it select the path and the image and make a clipping path
    in design 1
     object -clipping path -make with top path (or make with bottom path)
    to save
    in design 1 I can
    or use object - image create image object and drag over the part you want or
    select only the path in the clipping mask and use crop marks set from bounding box and save as png
    maybe in design 3 you can use the slice tool?
    if you want to be able to keep the path intact you can save the hole as a design file and copy the clipping mask in the new design but you well have to work on another layer below the clipping mask to get a new background
    if you only want to get the selection to fill with a color you can drag the selection on another layer or copy it on a new layer and save as a design file  if you reopen it later you will have to select to see the path

how to

examples

I added some examples not perfect I could have made my path better these are done in design 1
    I don t know if they open well in design 3   
    • Edited by germaine1 Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:54 PM added links
    • Marked as answer by closl Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:14 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:28 PM

All replies

• ED works a little bit different by allowing you to mask out or otherwise the parts of an image you do NOT want to show.

Way back this was quite a new and interesting development as it was and still is a non-destructive means of working with an image.  Cropping, for example, is a destructive effect as usually what has been removed cannot easily be recovered from the image (if you know what I mean).

Alternatively one can open the image in an image browser and use cropping tools to crop then save OR use a screen capture (eg Snipping tool in Vista?) to create another image from the source image that can be used in ED by importing the crop/screen cap.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:06 PM
  • if you want to use only the image of it select the path and the image and make a clipping path
    in design 1
     object -clipping path -make with top path (or make with bottom path)
    to save
    in design 1 I can
    or use object - image create image object and drag over the part you want or
    select only the path in the clipping mask and use crop marks set from bounding box and save as png
    maybe in design 3 you can use the slice tool?
    if you want to be able to keep the path intact you can save the hole as a design file and copy the clipping mask in the new design but you well have to work on another layer below the clipping mask to get a new background
    if you only want to get the selection to fill with a color you can drag the selection on another layer or copy it on a new layer and save as a design file  if you reopen it later you will have to select to see the path

how to

examples

I added some examples not perfect I could have made my path better these are done in design 1
    I don t know if they open well in design 3   
    • Edited by germaine1 Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:54 PM added links
    • Marked as answer by closl Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:14 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:28 PM
  • This really isn't easy is it? 
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:16 PM
  • This really isn't easy is it? 
    Actually, yes.  

Yes and yes it is but there is a sort of hurdle to get over and once over = freedom (or at least an alternative working method of handling how to select appropriate bits from bitmap images in a combined bitmap/vector (or is it Vector/bitmap?) application :-) )
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:07 PM