none
Windows Update cab file contains near-identical duplicates of all driver files RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sorry if this is not the best place to post this question, but I was prompted by a Microsoft Community moderator to post my question here instead of there, and I could find no category for addressing Windows Update issues.  Here it is:

I just downloaded a cab file to re-install graphics drivers from the Microsoft Update Catalog.  When I expanded the contents of the cab file, I found that there was also a cab folder included with all the other driver files.  The cab folder contained the exact same number of files with the same names and file sizes as the other driver files included outside of the cab folder.  If the files within the cab folder were identical to those outside the cab folder, I would just consider them duplicates and use one set of files or the other.  However, every exe or dll file within the cab folder has binary differences from the same-named file outside the cab folder.  Therefore, I don't know which of the two sets of files is correct to use for the installation.

Besides the binary differences -- which I do not know how to interpret -- the only other difference between the two sets of same-named files is that the ones outside the cab folder are a few seconds more recent in their date/time stamp than those within the cab folder.  Again, if the contents had been identical, I would not really have any concern, but since they differ in binary content, it would not seem that both sets of files are equally valid.

The specific information identifying the cab file in question is:

Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 Windows 10 and later drivers,Windows 10 and later upgrade & servicing drivers Drivers (Video) 5/19/2016 
    9.17.10.4459 99.6 MB

Suggestions?  I need to know which set of files is correct for re-installing my graphics drivers.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Regards, Bob

Saturday, January 27, 2018 9:45 PM