Making a Directory into a Subsite in EW4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I have a web site made using traditional old HTML authoring.
    I noticed that if I make a New Site in EW4. It adds some directories '_vti_cnf' and '_vti_pvt' (much like the old FP 2003 ones)
    I also see that if I can get above a directory in EW4 I can Convert it to a Subsite and EW4 adds these directories.
    But what if I can't get above the directory? Is it possible to Convert to Subsite while still 'in' the directory?
    Do I even need to do this? EW4 seems to work with it without converting. Am I missing some features? I need to use Include Page and .asp/.net functionality. Do they 'require' it to be a Subsite?
    The site I need to work on is in a directory at an mapped IP Address so I can't get higher than it in EW4.
    Help please
    SC
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:00 PM

Answers

• A FrontPage web uses the same _vti* folders and files as Expression Web, so just open the website in either program. The only caveat is Expression Web 4 will often trash any pages using shared borders. Previous versions [of EW] will leave shared borders alone.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    • Marked as answer by OrlandoDude Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:16 PM

All replies

• "But what if I can't get above the directory? Is it possible to Convert to Subsite while still 'in' the directory?"

No - but why would you? If you are in a web site, there is no need to convert - same as FrontPage.
     "I need to use Include Page and .asp/.net functionality. Do they 'require' it to be a Subsite?"

no - they require you are editing an open web site. This may be the root web, or a subsite.

Subsites enable you to isolate a part of the web site from the rest - Expression Web (like FrontPage) will treat a subsite as a completely independant web site - what you do in the subsite will (usually) not affect the root site and vice versa.

"The site I need to work on is in a directory at an mapped IP Address "
    Usually a bad idea - working live on a website means that every edit (good or bad) is immediately available to anyone with access to the site - before it has been tested or approved.
    Best practise is to download the site to your own PC. Edit and test there and publish changes back.
    " mapped IP Address " implies that FrontPage extensions will be required on the server - or do you mean something else?

Ron Symonds

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Re: "But what if I can't get above the directory? Is it possible to Convert to Subsite while still 'in' the directory?"

I have only ever 'made' a site in FP or EW. So these files and folders were already there. I inherited this design form somebody who made it using text coding (not a package).

So, to confirm, there is 'no need' for a 'site' in EW to be an 'EW site'?

Is this, therefore,  a 'true' statement - "It is not a requirement of EW for these items, '_vti_cnf' and '_vti_pvt etc, (as added when a site or sub-site is created) to be inside a directory containing a web site. 

Re: "The site I need to work on is in a directory at an mapped IP Address "

The directory I have to use is on the company Server. The tech. guys then make this as an IP Address (they used the word 'Map') So I build in there and publish to the internet. There is (to them) no 'local machine'. We aren't allowed to store things on the desktop PC's.

Thanks for your answers.

SC

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:05 PM
  •  "there is 'no need' for a 'site' in EW to be an 'EW site'?"

Yes it does - it does not have to be a subsite.
    Open the folder (Site->Open Site) in Expression Web.  This will define the folder as a web site for Expression Web's purposes.

""It is not a requirement of EW for these items, '_vti_cnf' and '_vti_pvt etc ..."

They are not necessary, but I would definitely use them. These folders (and the files within them) enable EW to manage the website, that is to update links when files are moved between folders, to check on changed files (for publishing) and so on.
    If the _vti* folders are missing, then with the website open use Site->Site Settings - General Tab and tick the box "Maintain the site using hidden metadata files". This will create the folders and files.

If the folder can be mapped as a drive letter you may have a better experience with EW. There are issues when working on a website using \\servername\folder (some links become absolute file based [file:///D:/docs/website/page.htm], instead of relative [../page.htm] ) and it is possible that using an IP address instead of server name may have the same problem. I have never used this [IP address] configuration, so may be wrong.

Ron Symonds

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:24 PM
  • RE: ""It is not a requirement of EW for these items, '_vti_cnf' and '_vti_pvt etc ..."

Thanks for the answer "Site->Site Settings - General Tab and tick the box "Maintain the site using hidden metadata files"" that did exactly what I wanted. Thanks again.

Just out of interest. If I wanted to make an FP web site into an EW site. Not to use the pages (they would be blanked and a DWT applied) but to keep the folders and files in the same place. Would I open it in EW4 and remove the option "Maintain the site using hidden metadata files" and then re-apply it. Thus adding the EW4 versions. Or delete all the FP bits inc. _theme In Windows Explorer, then open it in EW4 and do the "Maintain the site using hidden metadata files" thing?

Thanks  

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:56 PM
  • A FrontPage web uses the same _vti* folders and files as Expression Web, so just open the website in either program. The only caveat is Expression Web 4 will often trash any pages using shared borders. Previous versions [of EW] will leave shared borders alone.

Ron Symonds

• Marked as answer by OrlandoDude Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Great thanks for the answer. It's only the physical locations and content I need to keep. I'll remake the pages in EW.

Thanks again.

SC

Confusion will be my epitaph...
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:37 PM