none
Any way to get Visual Studio 2008 Professional as a DreamSpark member to install Embedded Compact 7 libraries?

Question

• Hello,

I am a student member of Microsoft DreamSpark and I am trying to install the Windows Embedded Compact 7 libraries provided in the DreamSpark software catalog, but it needs Visual Studio 2008 Professional SP1 with mobile libraries to be installed.

I tried all of the software from the catalog that had Visual Studio in the name, but it still demanded the specific version to be installed. After some further research, I noticed VS2008 was originally in the catalog (Well until 2013 or so while looking at the WayBack Machine) but for some reason it's been removed from the catalog.

Without it, the Embedded Compact 7 product from the catalog would be completely useless without me going on the hunt for VS2008.

Is there any way for me to get my hands in a copy of it by any chance these days?

P.S. DreamSpark Student Support redirected me here. Since I fear this can be a bit off topic, I placed this question in the general section.

Saturday, February 27, 2016 10:06 PM

All replies

• Hi jack,

Thanks for your post.

It seems like that you want install the VS2008 Professional SP1.

If so,  as far as I know , VS2008 is no longer available from Microsoft. The online registration link and download link is not live any longer.

To download this version of VS, if you have MSDN subscription then go to the following link, click "Go" button to search it and install it:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/securedownloads#searchTerm=Visual%20Studio%202008%20Professional%20Edition&ProductFamilyId=0&Languages=en&PageSize=10&PageIndex=0&FileId=0

If I misunderstood your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 1:43 AM
  • Hey Lake,

So it seems VS2008 is gone from the DreamSpark ecosystem.

Unfortunately, I am only eligeble for the DreamSpark program at this time due to potential age requirements as well and personal budget issues so anything in the general MSDN download center won't do me justice.

Again, the one who sent me here was DreamSpark Student Support and I asked them nearly the same issue.

I really would love to start developing for Windows Embedded systems using Visual Studio, but since Embedded Compact 7 libraries demand a specific VS2008 that isn't distributed in my perk it becomes useless.

The reason why I chose Embedded Standard 7 over 2013 is that I need a good head start before I can move on to more modern versions.

You could go ahead and continue trying to solve my problem, but if you have nothing else I could go ahead and wait for another user to help me with my case.

Thanks for trying,

-Jack

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 9:21 PM
  • Hi jack,

>>I really would love to start developing for Windows Embedded systems using Visual Studio

Currently I can't find the VS2008 Professional SP1 now. But I will help to search the solution for you.  

By the way, may be you could try another version of Visual Studio. Like VS2013 express for windows or VS2013 Community . They are all free version of VS.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, March 03, 2016 12:58 AM
  • Hey Lake,

I tried VS2013 and 2015 and seem to have found no luck.

However, I did manage to stumble upon a trial ISO of VS2008 while looking around the Microsoft website.

I think we can stop here as I will use that for now and maybe once I am finished with it I could move on to the more recent Visual Studio versions which are available in my perk along with Embedded Compact 2013.

Thanks for trying, by the way.

-Jack

Thursday, March 03, 2016 11:12 PM
  • Hi jack,

Glad to hear you found the ISO of VS2008. If you have any question when using Visual Studio 2008. Please feel free to post here.

Thanks,

Lake Xiao

Friday, March 04, 2016 1:06 AM