Windows Azure Caching (Preview) and multiple deployments RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to implement the new Azure Caching (Preview) to our current Azure project. Project itself consists of two hosted services - one used for API, the other serves as a frontend. These deployments share current Azure Cache namespace.

In the new docs, I can see the following statement:

"To access a Windows Azure Caching (Preview) cache, the clients must be within the same deployment. If the cache cluster is a dedicated role cache cluster, then the clients are other roles in the deployment."

As Azure assigns hostname to hosted service instead of roles, I can't have a single deployment while using one shared cache worker role. Is there a solution for this? We'd really use the new caching solution as the original distributed cache solution is not scalable enough for us.

Thanks for answers.

Friday, June 8, 2012 10:24 PM

Answers

• Thanks Pavel. Appreciate your sharing the feedback. We do have a plan to address this feature in a future release. For now we can suggest workarounds to build a webrole to act as a go-between for your services and the cache or devise mechanisms to sync the caches as you've mentioned.

regards,
    Prashant

• Marked as answer by Arwind - MSFT Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:33 AM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:13 AM

All replies

• Can you elaborate on this?

"As Azure assigns hostname to hosted service instead of roles, I can't have a single deployment while using one shared cache worker role. ". 

So from what I understood, you are currently having 2 hosted services using the same Shared Cache namespace. You now want to use Cache (Preview) as a shared cache for both these hosted services. Is that correct?

Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Correct. I'd prefer to have one hosted service only while having two http endpoints running on port 80, but this scenario is not supported in Azure environment.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

Thanks a lot for your interest in Windows Azure Caching. Our current release supports access to the cache from within the hosted service, which gives benefits of being "closer" to the app and gives better latency as some network hops are avoided. Can you help us understand more about your scenario of cache usage? Some specific questions that would help us are:

1. Is it possible for you to have both your projects run in the samehosted service?

2. Is there a need to share the cached data between the two deployments for your scenario? Or would it work if you had two separate caches in each of your hosted services?

Regards,
    Prashant

Monday, June 11, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Hi Prashant,

1. It's obviously not possible due to the Azure's hostname inflexibility I've mentioned above.

2. Keeping two separate caches for one project feels sloppy. All primary data need to be cached twice. Other than that, it is much harder (if not even impossible) to keep those two caches in sync, so they alway return the same value for given key due to the timeouts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I hope I'm just missing something obvious.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Thanks Pavel. Appreciate your sharing the feedback. We do have a plan to address this feature in a future release. For now we can suggest workarounds to build a webrole to act as a go-between for your services and the cache or devise mechanisms to sync the caches as you've mentioned.

regards,
    Prashant

• Marked as answer by Arwind - MSFT Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:33 AM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:13 AM
  • What's the planned release date of the solution? Fall 2012 would be extremely unpleasant for us.

When do you actually plan to remove the "Preview" tag from the new caching solution?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Azure Caching (Preview) has been released yesterday:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsazuredata/thread/9a2dbd9f-1b9d-4249-a48b-216d9dfdc2bc

BR,

Arwind

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:33 AM