Cannot use a shared data source from a client RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to edit some reports from my client computer using Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Report Builder 3.0, the report is using a shared data source. Every time I click on the 'Select or enter stored procedure name:' combo box, I am being asked to enter data source credentials and when I entered them Report Builder throws an error message:<o:p></o:p>

Unable to connect to data source"<mydatasource>"<o:p></o:p>

Cannot open databse "<Mydatabase>" requested by the login. The login failed.<o:p></o:p>

Login failed for user "Domain\username"<o:p></o:p>

When I do the same thing on the server side, it doesn't throw this error.<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 1:56 PM

All replies

• Shared data sources are useful when you have data sources that you use often. It is recommended that you use shared data sources as much as possible. They make reports and report access easier to manage, and help to keep reports and the data sources they access more secure. If you need a shared data source, ask your system administrator to create one for you.

In Report Builder, you cannot create a shared data source. You can browse to and select a shared data source from the report server. For more information, see Data Connections, Data Sources, and Connection Strings in Report Builder 3.0.

In Report Designer, you cannot browse to a shared data source on the report server. You can create shared data sources as part of a project in Solution Explorer and choose whether to deploy them to a report server. You might choose to use them locally only because of differences in credentials required from your computer or from the report server. For more information, see Data Connections, Data Sources, and Connection Strings (SSRS).

Refer

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239381%28v=sql.105%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:21 PM
  • Hi Khaled,

1. How do you configure the credential used in that shared data source? It is better if you can share me the screenshot of the properties page of the shared data source. 
    2. Do you connect to SQL database with the Windows domain user account or database credentials?
    3. Do you log in the machine with domain\user account?
    4. Is that computer in the same domain as SSRS server?

You can store user account credential with the "Credentials stored securely in the report server" option. Like:

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 1, 2016 10:07 AM
  • Thanks Vicky,

to solve this temporarily I created another shared data source with the option Windows integrated security below, when I use this data source the report builder doesn't throw the error I mentioned earlier. 

regarding your questions:

1. I connect to SQL with Windows domain user
    2. I also log in the machine (client computer) with domain administrator account
    3. both the SSRS server and the computer are in the same domain

below is the screen shot from our shared data source:

Monday, January 11, 2016 5:03 AM