none
AzMan or CCF database ??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The Agent Desktop application can be customized to use either the AzMan or CCF database to configure access permissions for the Agent on Hosted Applications. By default, CCF is configured to use AzMan for Hosted Applications authorization.

Can someone tell which is the better???

Thanks

Muks

Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:20 PM

Answers

• I doubt anyone can, because at the end of the day it's the same output (i.e. the data is read from the store and exposed through the web services). I like the Azman stuff a little more because you can store Azman info in AD, XML and with the new Azman SQL server. Putting it in AD with the rest of the user information seems more logical to me than hve user info in AD and in a XML file or SQL Server.

Also I seem to think that Azman is easier to extend (in terms of adding new information), but that could be because I haven't used the SQL store enough.

SQL may be more performant though in high usage situations over the XML or AD Azman stores, but with the new Azman support SQL server that should level it out.

New Azman = Azman in Vista/Windows Server 2008.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:25 AM

All replies

• Is anyone following this forum???

Can someone please respond to above query? Also please let me know if we can customise CCF Profile, like adding extra column.

Thanks

Muks

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:56 AM
  • I doubt anyone can, because at the end of the day it's the same output (i.e. the data is read from the store and exposed through the web services). I like the Azman stuff a little more because you can store Azman info in AD, XML and with the new Azman SQL server. Putting it in AD with the rest of the user information seems more logical to me than hve user info in AD and in a XML file or SQL Server.

Also I seem to think that Azman is easier to extend (in terms of adding new information), but that could be because I haven't used the SQL store enough.

SQL may be more performant though in high usage situations over the XML or AD Azman stores, but with the new Azman support SQL server that should level it out.

New Azman = Azman in Vista/Windows Server 2008.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:25 AM
  • I think that the choice can depend also from:

1) the quantity of data, number of user, number of application, skill, workflow etc, that they should be managed.  

2) the architecture of system, cluster or single machine

If the number are high and/or the Admin Console must be installed in cluster server i think that the sql server choice it is to consider.

Bye

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 10:00 PM
  • Generally

My answer to that question boils down to what the scale and system requirements end up being for the customer.

Also some of our customers specifically want it done one way or the other, and is some situations integrated to another Authorization system entirely. ( not AD, SQL, or AzMan. )

Matt B-MS,

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 4:51 AM
  • My personal experience is that AzMan with AD storage works well and offers good scalability...

Azman XML storage is good for development purposes..

Matt is right, this is very dependant of the customer scenario..

Yves

Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:01 PM
  • Robert, can you please let me know how to extend AzMan?

-Muks

Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:42 PM
  • I am not sure about your specific implementation but I can point you to some resources...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480244.aspx  - White Paper

http://blogs.msdn.com/azman/ - Team Blog

http://blogs.msdn.com/dc995/ - My Blog

Hope this helps

Regards,

David

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:50 PM
  • I used to think that application and user details are stored in the database and Azman only stores the mapping information. Can either Azman or DB store the entire information. If yes, what configuration changes I need to make in the admin console?

Friday, December 21, 2007 6:45 AM
  • Neither AzMan, nor the SQL Database store Authentication information, that is left to the LDAP provider ( AD or others ). AzMan and the SQL Database Store Authorization information only, In the case of using AzMan + Active Directory, AD is used to store the AzMan Data / relationships.

If you use SQL, then it relay boils down to AD (or Authentication platform) Group’s controlling access.

Really depends on what your customer needs are.

Matt B.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:11 PM