none
MS Word version above 2003 MyPlugin Button's ToolTip is prepending the Toolbar Name also. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I created a Plugin(Toolbar) for MS Word 2003 and above.

MyPlugin has got 4 buttons and i am writing the Tooltip for it in C++(Plugin) code.

For Word Version 2003, i am able to see the Tooltip when i hover-over on the each button and the Tooltip is same as i provided to it from my code.

For Word Version above 2003 , the tool-tip is prepending the Toolbar name also with the Tooltip string mentioned in the code.

Sample :

I am using the below code for adding the toolbar and tooltip

hr = spCmdBars->Add("MyToolbar", vPos, vEmpty, VARIANT_TRUE, &m_spOurCmdBar);

m_spMyButton->put_TooltipText(_bstr_t("Launch view"));

when i open the word 2003 doc and hover-over on the Mybutton, i am getting "Launch view" as tooltip.

when i open the word 2007 and above and hover-over on the Mybutton, i am getting

"MyToolbar: Launch view" as tooltip.

I am clueless why this is happening.

Please some one help me for solving this issue.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Chetan

Word 2007 and later do not use the CommandBars object model for the UI; they use the Ribbon. Objects created using CommandBars all appear in a single Ribbon Tab (Add-ins). Office takes care of "converting" them to Ribbon objects. As such, they must follow the rules for the Ribbon UI. One of these rules concerns the tooltips for "custom controls". That's why you're seeing what you're seeing and there's no way to change that.

The reason behind what you're seeing is the philosophy that everything that is not native to the Office application out-of-the-box should be recognizable as such. Also, the user should be able to recognize what third-party software has added the functionality. With this knowledge, that software can be deactivated, if necessary or desired.

Historically, there's been lots of frustration with a few exceptionally "rude" but widely used third-party add-ins for Office. They took over the UI and "broke" things - and Microsoft always got blamed for their applications "not working". At one point, it was decided enough was enough, and third-party tools should be clearly labelled as such.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Chetan

Word 2007 and later do not use the CommandBars object model for the UI; they use the Ribbon. Objects created using CommandBars all appear in a single Ribbon Tab (Add-ins). Office takes care of "converting" them to Ribbon objects. As such, they must follow the rules for the Ribbon UI. One of these rules concerns the tooltips for "custom controls". That's why you're seeing what you're seeing and there's no way to change that.

The reason behind what you're seeing is the philosophy that everything that is not native to the Office application out-of-the-box should be recognizable as such. Also, the user should be able to recognize what third-party software has added the functionality. With this knowledge, that software can be deactivated, if necessary or desired.

Historically, there's been lots of frustration with a few exceptionally "rude" but widely used third-party add-ins for Office. They took over the UI and "broke" things - and Microsoft always got blamed for their applications "not working". At one point, it was decided enough was enough, and third-party tools should be clearly labelled as such.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Thank you very much Cindy.

I tried a lot to fix this and this is somewhat impossible and this is the way it works.

Thanks and Regards,

Chetan.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:53 AM