none
Snapshot of complete container

Question

• Is there a easy and faster way to take and restore snapshot of complete container ?

I have 1000+ files inside my container and that too within multiple folders.

Can I take snapshots of complete container, directly ? Right now I need to iterate through all the blobs withing container and call blob.CreateSnapShot() .

And same iteration while restoring.

Also if I start create snapshot operation by iterating on loop of each blob within container then every blob has different time.

Which is problematic while restoring.

Ultimate goal is to create the snapshot of complete container daily and then restore as required if something goes wrong.

Delete snapshots those are older than 30 days.

Thanks,

Subodh

Thanks, Subodh

Thursday, August 6, 2015 11:41 AM

Answers

• Yes, copy speed will be the same. How you perform the task depends on your preference. If you'd prefer to develop an application to perform this task then you should use one of the Storage client libraries (.NET, Java, etc.) as shown here but if you'd prefer to use a command-line tool for this task then use AzCopy as shown here.

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Subodh,

We do not have an option to take a snapshot of the whole container and restore the same.

You may  prefer to use Asynchronous Cross-Account Copy Blob as shown here.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

• Proposed as answer by Pradnya K Friday, August 7, 2015 5:08 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 4:08 PM
  • Is AZ copy faster than this ?

Thanks,
    Subodh

Thanks, Subodh

Friday, August 7, 2015 9:59 AM
  • Like Shirisha mentioned, there isn't a container snapshot option. AzCopy uses asynchronous cross-account copy blob as well. What you could do is copy your blobs into a new container every day. The container name would be the date and time for when you took this "snapshot". As you mentioned, you could delete containers once they reach the 30 day age limit. This isn't the most efficient use of Azure Storage but you would avoid the problem of having different snapshot times for each blob.
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 12:07 AM
  • Then its better to use AZ copy instead of aynch blob copy, isn't it ? Copy speed should be same.

Thanks, Subodh

Sunday, August 9, 2015 7:32 AM
  • Yes, copy speed will be the same. How you perform the task depends on your preference. If you'd prefer to develop an application to perform this task then you should use one of the Storage client libraries (.NET, Java, etc.) as shown here but if you'd prefer to use a command-line tool for this task then use AzCopy as shown here.

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:30 PM