none
"When Existing List Item Updated" SharePoint trigger: question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi forum, 

Can somebody help me understand how the "When existing sharepoint item updated" trigger works. My assumption was that Logic Apps somehow "register" themselves with SharePoint and subscribes for some sort of"update" events,  so when an item gets updated, the LA trigger goes off and starts the LA workflow. 

What confuses me is the "Frequency" property in the trigger shape. Let's say I set it to 10 minutes. What does it really do? Does it "tell" SharePoint to fire events in 10 minutes interval for my particular Logic App? I seriously doubt that it works this way...

Or SharePoint doesn't fire any events and Logic Apps simply go to SharePoint and check what changed in the previous 10 minutes? 

Can somebody please shed some light?

Thank you!

• Edited by fly2 Friday, January 13, 2017 9:05 PM typo
    Friday, January 13, 2017 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Fly2,

Usually the triggers with a frequency are polling. So what the trigger will do, is to poll the location on an interval defined by the frequency, and if it finds items with a date changed bigger than the last run, it will trigger the logic app.

Notice that a trigger poll still counts as an action. So you might need to be careful with the interval, and base it in the real business needs.

I hope this helps, Wagner.

• Marked as answer by fly2 Saturday, January 14, 2017 6:06 PM
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Fly2,

Usually the triggers with a frequency are polling. So what the trigger will do, is to poll the location on an interval defined by the frequency, and if it finds items with a date changed bigger than the last run, it will trigger the logic app.

Notice that a trigger poll still counts as an action. So you might need to be careful with the interval, and base it in the real business needs.

I hope this helps, Wagner.

• Marked as answer by fly2 Saturday, January 14, 2017 6:06 PM
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:29 AM
  • So simple... Thank you very much, WSilveiraNZ!
    Saturday, January 14, 2017 6:06 PM