Best place to track the progress of Xamarin.Forms desktop support RRS feed

• Question

• User341790 posted

I'm very interested in the WPF/Gtk# support...where is the best place to monitor development?

Friday, August 11, 2017 5:54 PM

Answers

• User130 posted

GitHub branches and PRs is a good place to snoop. As we have anything to announce it'll go on the blog.

Anything you're interested in specifically, feel free to ask. As things get busy, my capacity to proactively communicate drops, so I don't mind at all being asked.

"Are you gonna support A?" and "We really need to be able to do B." are great to hear from everyone.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 11, 2017 8:48 PM

All replies

• User180523 posted

I don't think you mean WPF. Xamarin isn't going to support WPF flavor of XAML. There is a move within Microsoft to unify two flavors of XAML to a single third flavor called XAML Standard. https://www.infoq.com/news/2017/05/xaml-uwp-xamarin

Friday, August 11, 2017 7:10 PM
  • User341790 posted

https://blog.xamarin.com/glimpse-future-xamarin-forms-3-0/

So yes...I mean WPF...although WPF is not really the important part to me...the important part is a crossplatform .NET based desktop gui toolkit.

Friday, August 11, 2017 7:17 PM
  • User180523 posted

And the next paragraph below that says "XAML Standard"

Its not the best wording. WPF is moving to XAML Standard Xamarin is moving to XAML Standard But it won't be the old WPF many of us used for a decade.

Tomatoes, To-mah-toes.

Friday, August 11, 2017 7:33 PM
  • User341790 posted

To me, XAML is a layout/binding/properties configuration layer...but you can write WPF without XAML anyhow. So I'm not really 'in the know' but my assumption was that WPF controls will still be there, but that the XAML piece was evolving to a new standard.

In any case, none of this answers my question. I saw the announcement about Xamarin.Forms 3.0 desktop support (let's just say Windows/Linux/Mac)...I am excited about it...I want to know how things are progressing...where can I find that out?

Friday, August 11, 2017 7:50 PM
  • User180523 posted

I want to know how things are progressing...where can I find that out? I assume there will be announcements as progress as made, either on the Xamarin blog, Xamarin Twitter or the general announcements forum here.

I don't know if there is a specific "Forms 3.0" blog - but you could probably as @DavidOrtinau as he was the author of the article you referenced.

Friday, August 11, 2017 8:08 PM
  • User130 posted

GitHub branches and PRs is a good place to snoop. As we have anything to announce it'll go on the blog.

Anything you're interested in specifically, feel free to ask. As things get busy, my capacity to proactively communicate drops, so I don't mind at all being asked.

"Are you gonna support A?" and "We really need to be able to do B." are great to hear from everyone.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 11, 2017 8:48 PM
  • User341790 posted

Ok - I thought of that but wanted to make sure there wasn't a mailing list or something where discussions were actively taking place. When you say ask, do you mean PM you, or is there another place to ask?

Friday, August 11, 2017 8:53 PM
  • User230529 posted

@RobertConde Xamarin Forms for WPF (WIP)

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:54 PM