How can I scroll some content without having a scroll bar?

Question

• Hello,

I am very new to this forum. I was developing an application for WebOS (Touchpad) until HP cancelled all things WebOS last summer, unfortunately. Since I am very experienced in C++ development in Windows (due to my day job) I decided to continue that application for Windows 8 tablets.

I have done enough reading of relative documentation but I am new to XAML also. I have done some searching here in the forums but I think I can't find the answer I am looking for. Forgive me if there is somewhere and couldn't find it. After that disclaimer :) my question is this:

It seems to me (from the samples I studied) that the only way to scroll some content in Windows 8 Metro apps is through a scroll bar control. Is that correct?

I want to be able to have a list (ListView or whatever), horizontal or vertical, that can scroll just by using a gesture over the list and without having to touch/click some specific scroll bar area. Exactly like the way lists work on most smartphones/tablets I have seen (they don't show any scroll bar). Is that feasible? Do I miss something? Do I have to implement that functionality by myself from scratch?

I think that the above is an important feature and I wish I have just missed it.

Thanks in advance,

Fotis Kapetanias

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Fotis,

That sounds like how ListViews and GridViews work by default. I suggest you try this with a sample app and if you can't get the behavior you want then please ask a more specific question with details on what exactly you tried, exactly what behavior you wanted, and exactly the behavior you actually saw.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Bob_Bao Monday, February 6, 2012 3:39 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:53 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Fotis,

That sounds like how ListViews and GridViews work by default. I suggest you try this with a sample app and if you can't get the behavior you want then please ask a more specific question with details on what exactly you tried, exactly what behavior you wanted, and exactly the behavior you actually saw.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Bob_Bao Monday, February 6, 2012 3:39 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:53 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob,

I thought that should be the default behavior as you note. Since I don't have a tablet and I test all these on my laptop I tried to mimic a gesture by 1. dragging mouse with left button down over listview's content  2. moving my finger over laptop's touchpad either with touchpad's left button down or not (when mouse was over listview's content). Nothing of the above helped to scroll listview's content. Is there another way to mimic the specific gesture with mouse/keyboard/pad and achieve the result I want?

Fotis

Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Hi Fotis,

If you debug your app in Visual Studio's simulator then it can simulate touch input.

--Rob

• Proposed as answer by Bob_Bao Monday, February 6, 2012 3:39 PM
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:12 AM
    Owner