none
Which tables are updated when a PM accepts task updates - or how to have timesheets with PM approval in project 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Using Project Server 2007 to capture time with Project Manager (PM) approval rather than Line Manager approval

We want to use Project Server 2007 to capture time with PM approval rather than line approval.

Our understanding is that the “My Timesheets” feature is well-suited to capture line approval (ie where you nominate one or more approvers based on who the resource is.)

But we want the approver to be based on which project the time is for. So a given resource may have one or more different approvers, depending on what they are working on. It won’t work for us if the user has to enter the approver per project per week.

Is this possible?

We thought it might be possible to weld together “My Timesheets” (which does a good job at presenting the current tasks for a user in plans) with “My Tasks” (which has PM approval)

Any comment? We have looked at the internal tables - but where we can see the timesheet lines in a table, we can’t see the equivalent for “My Tasks” or a flag in to say they have been accepted for task update. And of course approval for “my Timesheets” is done at Timesheet (not TimeSheetline) level

Pointers? Any better in Project Server 2010?

ike

Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:13 PM

All replies

• Hi

yes. Better in 2010....

In 2007 you can use Timesheets if you prefer them to My Tasks. But you have to Import the timesheet into my Tasks and send the data to the status Managers for approval.

In 2010 you can use "Single Entry Mode" to enter the data in the timesheet and automatically send administrative times to the timesheet Managers and project assignment updates to the Status Managers.

Same applies for 2013

Regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Saturday, October 12, 2013 10:58 AM
  • Thanks Cristoph. Sadly we have to implement on 2007!

As an update:

We did manage to find the Approved Task Update data in the published database (table ASSIGNMENT_TRANSACTIONS) but of course that is not supported.

We are currently looking at data in the table AssignmentByDay. Which is in the reporting database.

But then, even if we turn "Protected actuals" on, we will get a mix of hours via resources' task updates and those created by PMs' record of progress before we turned on ProtectedActuals. Need to spot changes in these values to see new timesheets.

Would welcome any experiences of people trying to do the same thing.

Mike

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:22 PM