Visual Studio (standard edition) versus Visual Studio (professional edition) RRS feed

• Question

• I have Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition with Intel Visual Fortran on my machine. I have a Fortran project on my machine that is now suppose to be handed off to another group for usage. My concern os that they have Visual Studio 2005 Standard edition with Intel Visual Fortran on their machine. We have a quick deadline and neither of us can afford to get a different version of Visual Studio. Can I just hand off my project to him as is or will there be an issue if they want to make any changes because of the two different editions of Visual Studio?

Pat
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Pat,

This isn't exactly an Extensibility issue. You might have more luck on an Intel forum as I'm real familiar with Intel's Fortran product.

The core feature lists between VS Standard and VS Professional can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zcbsd3cz(VS.80).aspx

I'm not what if any of the above differences would apply to the Intel product. My suspicion is that they use they probably ship thier own compiler and linker, so none of the compiler/build option differences listed would apply.

Again, the Intel folks might have more info as to whether or not any Fortran projects created/built with the Pro Edition, would have any problems on the Std Edition. My suspicion is that it would work, but I don't know for certain.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Pat,

This isn't exactly an Extensibility issue. You might have more luck on an Intel forum as I'm real familiar with Intel's Fortran product.

The core feature lists between VS Standard and VS Professional can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zcbsd3cz(VS.80).aspx

I'm not what if any of the above differences would apply to the Intel product. My suspicion is that they use they probably ship thier own compiler and linker, so none of the compiler/build option differences listed would apply.

Again, the Intel folks might have more info as to whether or not any Fortran projects created/built with the Pro Edition, would have any problems on the Std Edition. My suspicion is that it would work, but I don't know for certain.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:36 PM
  • I went ahead and posted this on the Intel Forum board like you suggested.

Thanks

Pat
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:49 PM