none
how to overwrite the existing version of VSTO Excel addin setup installed in the machine ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed an Excel Addin using VSTO with C#.Net.I have created a setup project for the same and shared the "setup" application file and "addinsetup" installer package file.

Users were able to install this successfully.later i rebuilt my project and shared the latest  "setup" application file and "addinsetup" installer package file.

This time when user was trying to install the setup it says "another version of this product is already present.cannot install."

How can i make my latest setup file overwrite the existing ones without prompting the above message ?

• Edited by Krrrishna Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:59 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:58 AM

Answers

• both AssemblyVersion and Version property of setup msi. UpgradeCode must stay unchanged! - this is your error, sorry i did not read carefully your original post. Product code changes.
    Monday, September 3, 2012 10:38 AM

All replies

• I have made the following changes:

Set "RemovePreviousVersion" to True
    Increment the Version number.When i incemented this , it updated the UpgradedCode also.

This is wokring for now.Let me know if i need to make further changes.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Hi Krrrishna,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my experience that you needn't change anymore in the future. However I would recommend you create Click-Once setup to distribute your add-in, it will let your add-in update more easier.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:56 AM
  • remember that you also need to increase Version in assemblyinfo for all deployed assemblies.

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi Damian

Do i need to update both of the below version numbers?And do they need to match with what i enter manually in setup project -> properties - > VersionNumber property  field ?

Is there any way we can auto increment this version number ?

[assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.0.0.0")]
    [assembly: AssemblyFileVersion("1.0.0.0")]

• Edited by Krrrishna Sunday, September 2, 2012 1:16 PM
    Sunday, September 2, 2012 1:13 PM
  • Hi Krrrishna,

I think you need set your add-in's version instead of Setup project's version.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Monday, September 3, 2012 6:55 AM
  • both AssemblyVersion and Version property of setup msi. UpgradeCode must stay unchanged! - this is your error, sorry i did not read carefully your original post. Product code changes.
    Monday, September 3, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Hi Krrrishna,

I think DamianD's reply is OK for this issue. I will mark it. Please feel free to unmark it if you feel it doesn't solve your issue.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:28 AM