SSRS Prompting for Username and Password in IE RRS feed

• Question

• Recently we performed and failover test for all of our databases to a mirrored, offsite location and failed back -- since that time when users try to access some custom reports that are configured using SSRS through the web in IE they get a username and password prompt that repeatedly fails and then gives me a 401 error.

In Mozilla/Chrome/etc. it prompts for a username and password, then I get through normally.

I tried to force NTLM in the report.config and also tried to force basic with the same results

I'm new to SSRS and would really appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:45 PM

Answers

• HI CS !

Have you tried to access your Report through Report Manager URL to see if its working there without prompting for User ID / Password.

You report manager URL would be something like below;

http://localhhost/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx?ViewMode=Detail

Or you may find it out at;

Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2008R2 (Depending on version which you are using for SSRS) -> Configuration Tools -> Reporting Services Configuration Manager then connect to you Reportt Server Instance and now you will see option in Left Pane Report Manager URL click on that and you will be able to locate your Report Manager URL;

Please let me know if this helps. Hopefully i have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

• Marked as answer by CSEngin Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:34 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:58 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• HI CS !

Have you tried to access your Report through Report Manager URL to see if its working there without prompting for User ID / Password.

You report manager URL would be something like below;

http://localhhost/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx?ViewMode=Detail

Or you may find it out at;

Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2008R2 (Depending on version which you are using for SSRS) -> Configuration Tools -> Reporting Services Configuration Manager then connect to you Reportt Server Instance and now you will see option in Left Pane Report Manager URL click on that and you will be able to locate your Report Manager URL;

Please let me know if this helps. Hopefully i have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

• Marked as answer by CSEngin Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:34 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:58 PM
    Answerer
  • If I access the report manager URL it works properly -- it looks like it is an NTLM/Kerberos issue but not in Report Server but in IIS, I forced it to use NTLM in IIS in the authentication settings and seems to work now....

now to solve our Kerberos issues :)

Thanks!

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:34 PM