none
How to embed and extract file to MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find a way to embed and extract external file in Microsoft Project as OLE-Object using VBA

In Microsoft Excel I can embed and extract external file as OLE-Object, but I not find how make this action in Microsoft Project. Can anyone help me with my problem?

Thank you.
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:47 PM

All replies

• From any task, double click on the task to open the Task Information dialog.

From the Notes field on a there is an option to embed an object. 

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, July 6, 2017 10:34 PM
  • Thank you. I can embed object using this way. Can I ask how can I extract embedded file using VBA?
    Monday, July 10, 2017 6:33 AM
  • Vital,

Sorry, as far as I know, Project doesn't support inserting or reading OLEobjects using VBA. Excel may but Project does not.

What exactly are you trying to do (i.e. what is your end goal)?

John

Monday, July 10, 2017 3:14 PM
  • Hello, John!

I developing next algorithm:

1. When user open Project file, macro extract dll-file to some folder using event "Project_Open"

2. Then macro create module that keep descriptions of functions from this DLL.

3. At last, different macros in Project can call functions from this external DLL.

In Microsoft Excel I have developed this algorithm. Now I try to reproduce this algorithm in Project-files.

Monday, July 10, 2017 7:59 PM
  • Vital,

I've never worked with DLLs so I can't really help you with that. However, your original post indicated you are trying to insert and extract external files in/from Project but from you last response it sounds like you are gathering data from Project and dumping it into something but it isn't clear what you are trying to extract or what you are dumping it into.

You indicate you've already done your process in Excel. Could you share the VBA statements you used in Excel? Perhaps I, or somebody else, can then relate that to Project.

John

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:55 AM