Exchange Server 2010 .ci files 137.7GB and 127.6GB Mailbox DB total size 34.3GB RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hey fine folks of the technet forums. 

    I am back with another question about my SBS 2011 Standard Server. 

    This server has a mailbox database size of 34.3GB but it seems the content index files are growing each day by several gigabytes. I checked the server 6 hours ago and since then one ci file has grown 50gb in just a day!

    I believe I can delete them and then the system will just regenerate the files but want to check with you all first as to the best course of action before doing so. 

    This server does occasionally reboot randomly and MS is working on this issue but I can't imagine that would cause the problem. It has batteries on the HDDs and the system reboots quickly and is back up and running. 

    I can answer any addl questions and hope I have given enough info. Other than the CI files and the random reboots this server works fine. 

    Thanks for your help folks!

    Sunday, October 13, 2013 5:52 AM

All replies

  • Hello BenLat,

    Are you using Loadgen for Exchange 2010 to create mailboxes and send mail?

    if you are using it will occur.




    Sunday, October 13, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Hi Vickram! Thanks for taking the time to assist.

    I only create mailboxes with the SBS 2011 Wizard. I have never used loadgen.

    It appears that this server was doing the merge when I wrote this message.

    Now as of this morning there is only 1 136GB .ci file. 

    I would still like to reduce the size of this file as requiring almost 300GB of free space for exchange to perform the merge seems completely absurd!

    Thanks all for your help!

    Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

    this issue happens on single database( mentioned that only 1 .ci file is big)

    what about the status if .ci file in other database? is it normal?

    if so then delete the .ci file on this database and re-generate it again after the merge is completed.




    Monday, October 14, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Thanks Vickram.

    We only have one mailbox database. It seems during a merge it copies the .ci file, adds index to it, then deletes the old one - but we do only have one mailbox DB.

    I will perform this deletion tonight as the merge has finished. I will update the thread as I am sure other folks are having this issue as well.

    Monday, October 14, 2013 9:29 PM
  • Hey all, 

    I ran the following script which was successful :

    ResetSearchIndex.ps1 -force -all

    The system was not doing a master merge.

    Unfortunately I still see the huge 137.7GB .ci file, and I do see the searchindexer.exe

    working to recreate the index.

    I will wait until tomorrow night, then will perform the manual functions of

    stopping the service, deleting the file manually, then restarting the service to see if this file is just clutter and unnecessary.

    • Edited by BenLat Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:57 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:57 AM
  • Hello Folks! I shut off the Exchange Search and Windows Search Services which allowed me to

    delete the huge file. After deleting, I cannot restart the windows search service. 

    It tries to restart and says 'cannot be restarted. Reason 2: files missing.'

    So, I re-ran the ResetSearchIndex.ps1 and it is regenerating the index and hopefully

    after that I will be able to restart windows search service. 

    Perhaps a reboot will solve this as well, but I will try rebuilding the index initially. 

    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:52 AM