ALL storage metrics truncated at 30 days. RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if that's by design or not, or did something happen to this data?

thanks

Thursday, January 3, 2019 3:34 PM

All replies

• It's not - Azure Monitor platform metrics are retained for 93 days.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-metrics-in-azure-monitor

You have the option of archiving these by following https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/learn/tutorial-archive-data

hth
    Marcin

Thursday, January 3, 2019 3:47 PM
  • If I export the usage metric it only shows data for 30 days, If I do cost metrics is show for 90+ days..

the following is usage metric which stops 30 days from today.

Does this make sense?

Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:01 PM
  • As per https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/azure-monitor-general-availability-of-multi-dimensional-metrics-apis/ , the retention period has been increased from 30 days to 93 days in March 2018

Where are you exporting data from?

Did you set the retention period explicitly on the source of that data?

hth
    Marcin

Thursday, January 3, 2019 6:14 PM
  • Metrics are enabled by default, and you can access the past 93 days of data. If you need to retain data for a longer period of time, you can archive metrics data to an Azure Storage account. This is configured in diagnostic settings in Azure Monitor.

Click on the option Last 24 hours(Automatic) ->Select Custom -> Start and End Date & Time

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

Friday, January 4, 2019 5:20 AM
  • Sorry already knew about extending the time span!  And I really don't need it beyond 90 days.  Something is wrong or Microsoft has change the default retention to 30 days without updating their documentation. I can see that happening due to the cost of storage as in MS wants us to use our storage which then makes them money.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing if true just the doc's need to be updated.

Just to be clear its all metric's not just the specific one I'm looking for. 

Is there some central location that I may have set the number to 30 days?  When you go to the monitor/diagnostics the retention is per metric and they are all disabled anyway so they should be using defaults.

thanks.

• Edited by troth Friday, January 4, 2019 2:18 PM
    Friday, January 4, 2019 2:12 PM
  • When you go to the monitor/diagnostics the retention is per metric and they are all disabled anyway so they should be using defaults.  "Can you share me the snapshot  of that page"?

Monday, January 7, 2019 2:06 PM
  • Sorry this is unclear to me "Can you share me the snapshot option", not sure where I'd find that.

thanks

Monday, January 7, 2019 2:30 PM
  • You have stated that "When you go to the monitor/diagnostics the retention is per metric and they are all disabled anyway so they should be using defaults." Where do you see that options disabled could you please share the screenshot?
    Tuesday, January 8, 2019 10:37 AM
  • Tuesday, January 8, 2019 2:18 PM
  • When I tried to repro the same issue in my lab even, I see the Diagnostics status disabled, you need to enable that option. i.e. Turn on the diagnostics settings.

We can schedule the Log Retention period from 0-365 days.

Azure Monitor offers a capability that enables you to send resource diagnostic data and activity log data into an Azure storage account, Event Hubs namespace, or into Log Analytics. In order to address a system performance issue, on November 1, 2018 at 12:00 midnight UTC the format of log data send to blob storage will change. If you have tooling that is reading data out of blob storage, you need to update your tooling to understand the new data format.
    Try to enable the Diagnostic status, If the issue persists; Refer Azure Diagnostics troubleshooting

Additional information: Automatically enable Diagnostic Settings at resource creation using a Resource Manager template

Hope this helps! 

Friday, January 11, 2019 9:39 AM
  • Per this link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/common/storage-metrics-in-azure-monitor

"Metrics are enabled by default, and you can access the past 93 days of data. If you need to retain data for a longer period of time, you can archive metrics data to an Azure Storage account. This is configured in diagnostic settings in Azure Monitor."

Basically the settings under diagnostic settings only apply to extending the archiving of log data.

So as far as I can tell I shouldn't need to do anything to get 93 days of data.

Hopefully I'm not totally misreading these docs.

• Edited by troth Friday, January 11, 2019 3:46 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2019 2:13 PM
  • Yes “Metrics are enabled by default, and you can access the past 93 days of data. If you need to retain data for a longer period of time, you can archive metrics data to an Azure Storage account. This is configured in diagnostic settings in Azure Monitor.

Diagnostics Logs are emitted by a resource and provide information about the operation of that resource (the "data plane").

Additional information: Not all services support the diagnostic logs described here. This article contains a section listing which services support diagnostic logs.

Monday, January 14, 2019 9:32 AM
  • Well my basic problem still exists,  the data is being truncated at 30 days not 93!  I don't see any settings that should limit the data to just 30 days.

Am I being a knuckle head about this? Feel like I'm still missing something here.

Monday, January 14, 2019 1:58 PM
  • Could you please reach to me via AZCommunity[AT]microsoft.com with a link to this Issue as well as your subscription ID and we can help get a support ticket opened for this issue. Please mention "ATTN subm" in the subject field.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 11:57 AM
  • Thanks, I can open my own case, I didn't really want to since I don't see this as being a huge issue just annoying for now.  I'll report back the findings.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 1:55 PM
  • @troth Just check are you still finding any issues on the above mentioned query?
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 6:48 AM
  • Well I opened a sevC ticket several weeks ago and they are still working on the issue!  I'm not in a hurry so that's fine.

thanks

Monday, February 11, 2019 1:45 PM
  • It is an old case, but in case anyone else finds it:

It has data stored as documentation explains, but you can only query for 30 days at a time. So if you try to query for more then 30 days, it will seem as if it is truncated.
    To get data for 90 days, you will have to make three queries.

Thursday, December 26, 2019 10:23 AM