Upload Excel Test case to TFS using Java Programming RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to TFS and would like to know,Is there any way where in i can upload my excel test cases to TFS Using java Program?, I knew we can do it using different tools like Test case migrator plus but don't want to use it, I have used the TFS SDK and i am able to connect to TFS and Create work items so far.Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks in Advance.

Rajesh.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Rajesh,

There is nothing in the Java SDK that supports taking an excel sheet so you need to parse this file manually and populate the workitem fields.

Please let me know If you have any other questions/issues.

Thanks

Mireille

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Rajesh,

There is nothing in the Java SDK that supports taking an excel sheet so you need to parse this file manually and populate the workitem fields.

Please let me know If you have any other questions/issues.

Thanks

Mireille

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:55 PM
  • Hi Rajesh,

I am sorry I was not clear enough, I meant write your own Java application that will parse the excel sheets and uses the Java SDK to create the test cases.

IF this is not going to work for you, please let me know and I can move your question to the Wit team, they might have a better solution.

Thanks

Mireille

Friday, February 28, 2014 2:43 PM
  • Hi Mireille,

Thanks for Reply,

I have written own java application that able to connect to TFS and Create work items so far with usingTFS-SDK-11.0.0. but i am not able to populate the work item fields (ie Action, Expected Result) . i need a help/ java-program to populate work item fields (Action and Expected Result).

once i able to populate those fields then i will parse the excel sheet and assign excel fields data to the work item fields through java.

Thanks in Advance,

Rajesh

Friday, February 28, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Hi Rajesh,

What type of workitems are you creating and what type of team project are you using? it depends on the workitem type template, those fields action and expected result might be optional and you don't have to populate them.

Thanks

Mireille

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:07 PM
  • Hi Mireille,

I have created Test Case work item, As i am trying to automate manual entry of the Action and Expected result in it(I want rather get the Steps already in a excel and parse it into the action and expected result in the TFS), i have created a team project under Default collection.

Please find the TFS screen shots

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Rajesh.

• Edited by Rajesh_TFS Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:23 AM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:10 AM
  • Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for your patience but still I don't see where is the problem. TEE does not have a tool to parse the excel sheet, you need to write your Java program to parse that sheet and populate those fields.

Thanks

Mireille

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Hi Mireille,

Thank you for reply

I have been trying to create test case in Visual Studio Test Professional 2013 using TFS SDK for Java. I were successfully able to create test case using TFS SDK for Java.

I created test plan and test suites manually under my project. And later I want to move/add test cases to the created test suites. Is there any way I can move/add Test cases to created Test Suites using TFS SDK for Java?

Thanks In Advance

Rajesh

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:00 PM
  • Hi Rajesh,

I am sorry to say this is not supported in the Java SDK.

Thanks

Mireille

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:05 PM