Unable to install/upgrade SQL server RRS feed

• Question

• ok...I have downloaded SQL Server 2008 and unzipped the ISO file.  Then I clicked on the 64bit installation file and it added an option under All Programs/SQL Server 2008/Configuration Tools/Instalation Center

The system passed all the test but when I go to click on Installation --> Upgrade from SQL Server 2000 or SQL Sever 2005 it says "Browse for Folder"...but anywhere I browse it says "dir. is not a valid installation folder"

if I just click on the exe..let it extract a bunch of files to a temp location (e:\ in my case) and then I copy that folder to another location (say desktop) and then point to THIS folder...it seems to work...but in the end all it does is not give me the error above...instead a command prompt flies up for less than a second and then it goes away...and nothing happens.  Please Help.

Aaron

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In the SQL Server 2008 installation media folder say SQL Server 2008, there are several files and folder there such as ia64, X46, X86, setup.exe, Readme.htm. Usually, we start installation from setup.exe under SQL Server 2008; this will lead the setup to install the same version as operating system (OS) (64-bit version will installed if the OS is 64-bit). However, if you want to start installation from one of ia64, X64, X86 folders, you can double click LandingPage.exe file, in the Browser for Folder, switch to SQL Server 2008\<version>\. You should be able to install SQL Server 2008 successfully in both ways.

If you encounter the error states “Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created”, this is known issue on Windows 7. For more information, you can refer to
    Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:14 AM