none
Prevent a new contact folder from syncing with exchange server [VSTO] RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VSTO add-on that syncs contacts from a 3rd party database system into a custom contacts folder inside outlook. The users all have exchange accounts, but we do not want these contacts to sync to exchange as they would then show up on their phones via activesync. I was looking at the contact folder object and it has a property on it called InAppFolderSyncObject, which says it sets if a folder's contacts will or will not be synchronized with the e-mail server.

I have tried setting this to false, in an attempt to stop the sync, and it seems to have no effect on the results. How can I prevent this contact folder from syncing back to the exchange server?

Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:14 PM

Answers

• As the documentation says, that property is for the Application Folders SyncObject and nothing else.

Why not add that folder to a non-default PST file for the users? It can be opened as part of the Outlook profile and won't be synched with Exchange. You can use the NameSpace.AddStore() method to add the PST if it's not already in the user's Stores collection.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, August 2, 2013 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

I will consult my colleagues on this question. And it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Chen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:02 PM
  • As the documentation says, that property is for the Application Folders SyncObject and nothing else.

Why not add that folder to a non-default PST file for the users? It can be opened as part of the Outlook profile and won't be synched with Exchange. You can use the NameSpace.AddStore() method to add the PST if it's not already in the user's Stores collection.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, August 2, 2013 2:35 PM

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

That's definitely an option, wasn't sure what "application folders syncobject" was exactly, this is the first VSTO add-on we've written, still learning the object structure
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:07 PM
  • VSTO is a framework for addins that includes a COM shim loader and various tools such as a ribbon designer. It has nothing to do with the object models for applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, etc. 

You actually need to learn the object model for the host application (Outlook) as well as the structure of VSTO addins.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:43 PM