How many versions of PowerPivot are there? RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

I was searching the http://technet.microsoft.com site looking for an answer for a PowerPivot question.
    I know that there is PowerPivot for Excel and PowerPivot for SharePoint.

I came across this page, which seems like another version, specifically for sql server 2012 -
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh272053.aspx
    I have to snoop around a little bit more to find out what the differences are between this 2012 version and the one that comes with excel.

This has me wondering if these 3 are the only versions of PowerPivot or if there are more?
    I vaguely remember when PowerPivot first came out, it was part of visual studio tools.
    Was that version replaced with one of the 3 versions I listed above or it that a 4th version.

thank you

tracy

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:27 PM

Answers

• There are technically 3 primary versions of Power Pivot so far.

2008 R2 (v1)- the original version released as a free excel 2010 addin.

2012 (v2) - released a couple years later again as a free excel 2010 addin. It introduced several new features, functions and other improvements. I would guess that this is still probably the most widely used. It's my favorite still. This more or less coincided with the release of SQL Server 2012 SSAS Tabular which shares the same analytics and storage engine as Power Pivot.

Excel 2013 version - this was built directly into excel 2013. In many people's opinion (including mine) the UI is a little more difficult to work with than the excel 2010 versions. It will hopefully catch up and surpass it someday. 

The Power Pivot for SharePoint is not really like the above versions of Power Pivot per se. It isn't as much a development environment as it is more of a hosting environment. This must be installed on SharePoint servers to allow them to host uploaded Power Pivot workbooks created in one of the excel versions and allow the Power Pivot functionality to work thru a browser. Hope that helps to clarify.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:29 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• There are technically 3 primary versions of Power Pivot so far.

2008 R2 (v1)- the original version released as a free excel 2010 addin.

2012 (v2) - released a couple years later again as a free excel 2010 addin. It introduced several new features, functions and other improvements. I would guess that this is still probably the most widely used. It's my favorite still. This more or less coincided with the release of SQL Server 2012 SSAS Tabular which shares the same analytics and storage engine as Power Pivot.

Excel 2013 version - this was built directly into excel 2013. In many people's opinion (including mine) the UI is a little more difficult to work with than the excel 2010 versions. It will hopefully catch up and surpass it someday. 

The Power Pivot for SharePoint is not really like the above versions of Power Pivot per se. It isn't as much a development environment as it is more of a hosting environment. This must be installed on SharePoint servers to allow them to host uploaded Power Pivot workbooks created in one of the excel versions and allow the Power Pivot functionality to work thru a browser. Hope that helps to clarify.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:29 AM
    Answerer
  • Here are version numbers for the various public releases of PowerPivot: Check out this link it is a MSDN Blog, you will get an answer

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/analysisservices/archive/2012/10/01/more-on-multiple-powerpivot-versions.aspx 

I hope this helpful to you and goodluck

Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:31 AM
  • Hello,

Addition information regarding SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint: SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint extends SharePoint and Excel Services to add server-side processing, collaboration, and document management support for the PowerPivot workbooks that you publish to SharePoint. Please take a look at the following PowerPivot for SharePoint version:

SQL Server version

SharePoint Version

SQL Server 2008 R2

SharePoint 2010

SQL Server 2012

SharePoint 2010 SP1

SQL Server 2012 SP1

SharePoint 2013

For more information, please see:
    Installing the BI features of SharePoint 2013:http://blogs.msdn.com/b/querysimon/archive/2012/11/26/installing-the-bi-features-of-sharepoint-2013.aspx

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:18 AM
  • wow mike d!
    i think i missed knowing about the 2012 v2 version, which may explain some of the confusion, when i read posts about a feature, that i couldn't find. i will check and see if the 2012 v2 version works with excel 2013.

i can understand that the 2012 v2 version the post popular because the 2013 version only works with specific versions of excel, where the older versions worked with excel period, if you know what i mean.

i thought i read someplace that going forward, they may be another version that will work with more version of excel. if that happens, i just hope that the functionality is the same among all of the versions, so people will not go bonkers trying things they read about, ony to find out that in the powerpivot version they have installed, does not support it.

thank you
    tracy
    Saturday, May 24, 2014 2:35 AM
  • Abubeker and Elvis,

thank you for the additional links for powerpivot excel and sharepoint. i really appreciate it. i will read them as soon as i can.

have a happy and safe memorial days
    tracy

Saturday, May 24, 2014 2:39 AM