How do I get the "Start Debugging" button on the VS2010 toolbar to debug the project I'm trying to debug? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a VS2010 solution consisting of three projects: two applications (which I'll call projects 1 and 3, based on the order they appear in the Solution Explorer) and a content library (project 2).  Currently I'm trying to debug project 1, so I have it set as the startup project.  However, when I click the Start Debugging button on VS2010's toolbar, it starts debugging project 3.  In order to debug project 1, I have to right-click on its name and select Debug.  Is there any way to specify to VS2010 that I want the Start Debugging button to debug project 1?  Thanks!
    • Moved by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:33 AM move to a more appropriate forum
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have multiple projects, you can select which one of them you want to start under the debugger.

Right-click the Solution in the Solution Explorer, and select Properties.  Go to the Common Properties – Start up Project page (it’s the first page in the dialog).

You’ll see three radio buttons as below:

Current selection –  whatever was selected previously when you went to the solution property pages.
    Single startup project – usually this is the first project , or the project that you manually set as the startup project.
    Multiple startup projects – You can pick and choose which projects to start (and make sure you choose Start and not Start without debugging).

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Sahana

• Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by zephyrhumar Wednesday, May 8, 2013 6:50 PM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:37 AM
  • Hi,

If you have multiple projects, you can select which one of them you want to start under the debugger.

Right-click the Solution in the Solution Explorer, and select Properties.  Go to the Common Properties – Start up Project page (it’s the first page in the dialog).

Current selection –  whatever was selected previously when you went to the solution property pages.
    Single startup project – usually this is the first project , or the project that you manually set as the startup project.
    Multiple startup projects – You can pick and choose which projects to start (and make sure you choose Start and not Start without debugging).

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Sahana

That didn't help, but unchecking the "Build" and "Deploy" boxes for project 3 in the last tab of the property pages did.  Thanks for getting me to the right place!
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:26 PM

All replies

• Have you tried having project 1 selected via a simple left click, then hitting the debug option in the toolbar?
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Sahana

• Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:33 AM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:37 AM
  • Have you tried having project 1 selected via a simple left click, then hitting the debug option in the toolbar?
    Yes, but I tried it again just to be safe.  It tried to debug project 3.
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Sahana

That didn't help, but unchecking the "Build" and "Deploy" boxes for project 3 in the last tab of the property pages did.  Thanks for getting me to the right place!
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Hello,

Glad to see this issue has been resolved and thank you for sharing your solutions & experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:46 AM