none
Avoid reboot when installing .Net framework? RRS feed

• Question

• Is is possible to avoid a reboot when installing .Net framework? We have a very specific hard requirement to avoid any reboot since we will be installing on production servers that cannot go down. Alternatively, how about compiling c# to native x86/64?
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:20 AM

Answers

• If you extract the content of the .NET Framework 4.0 download (a self-extracting executable) and examine the command line switches available for the setup.exe, on switch is /norestart. That may allow you to install successfully with no reboot.

You don't mention which .NET Framework version(s) you are talking about, so I picked the latest to check available command line switches. You can do the same for other versions if you need to.

Before trying this on a production server, I'd want to try it on a test machine to be sure.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Hi Marius du Toit,

Thanks for your post.

Would you please let us know the .NET Framework version you want to deploy?

Like pvdg42 said, to prevents the Setup program from rebooting automatically. You can pass the /norestart switch to the installer. For example, for .NET Framework 4.0, if the installer name is dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe, and the file is in D:\, you can run the command below in Command Prompt to install .NET Framework 4.0:
    >>D:\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /norestart

Additionlly, the articles below might help to deploy the .NET Framework:

Regarding the second question about C# compiling, I would suggest you open a new post in the Visual C# General forum to get more efficient response, where you can contact C# experts.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:03 AM

All replies

• If you extract the content of the .NET Framework 4.0 download (a self-extracting executable) and examine the command line switches available for the setup.exe, on switch is /norestart. That may allow you to install successfully with no reboot.

You don't mention which .NET Framework version(s) you are talking about, so I picked the latest to check available command line switches. You can do the same for other versions if you need to.

Before trying this on a production server, I'd want to try it on a test machine to be sure.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Hi Marius du Toit,

Thanks for your post.

Would you please let us know the .NET Framework version you want to deploy?

Like pvdg42 said, to prevents the Setup program from rebooting automatically. You can pass the /norestart switch to the installer. For example, for .NET Framework 4.0, if the installer name is dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe, and the file is in D:\, you can run the command below in Command Prompt to install .NET Framework 4.0:
    >>D:\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /norestart

Additionlly, the articles below might help to deploy the .NET Framework:

Regarding the second question about C# compiling, I would suggest you open a new post in the Visual C# General forum to get more efficient response, where you can contact C# experts.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:03 AM
  • Hi Marius du Toit,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Friday, May 27, 2011 10:00 AM