Wish List for Windows 8

General discussion

• Just thought I would start a wish list of things I would like to see in Windows 8.

• Windows Live Essentials "Metro Edition" - I would like something like the Live Essentials suite, but with a Metro style interface. Obviously these wouldn't be available in the Dev Preview, but just wanted to mention it. The biggest thing I want is a Metro style Email app, but a video and photo editor would also make it competitive with iOS' iMovie. My guess is that this it is already in the works.
    • Better mouse navigation within Metro apps - It is somewhat cumbersome to use the mouse in the metro apps, you always have to right click to bring up simple commands like back. This should be a little more like Windows Phone 7 where the back button is always on the screen.
    • The ability to use the mouse like a touch command in Metro - It would be easier to use some of the features in Metro and apps if the mouse responed more like a touch input. I do not have a tablet at this time (unfortunately) and, as previously mentioned, I am finding the mouse somewhat cumbersome. I would like to be able to swipe scroll, and swipe menus into view with my mouse. This should be a setting that the user can change.

I will post more to this discussion when I think of other things I want in Windows 8. Incredible job Microsoft, keep up the good work and keep listening to the users.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:31 AM

All replies

• Ditto.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:03 AM
  • I would add the option to Shut off the computer by clicking (or tapping) your user tile on the start screen.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback.  We are always glad to hear of your experiences with  Windows Developer Preview and ideas to improve it.

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:01 PM
  • I have installed Windows 8 on a 32-bit Dell XSP 1710 Laptop over a VISTA OS without any real problems. Issues were that the video driver that Win 8 installed did not support the full 1920x1200 mode of the Nvidia 9600Go chip. To my surprise it was able to load and use a driver supplied by Dell for VISTA so 1920x1200 is now the resolution. Also, BlueTooth Microsoft mouse is active.

I also agree that having an improved set of mouse operations on the start screen is necessary. Also that these operations extend across multi-monitors between start screen and other desktop screens. Currently I use a three monitor 1920x1200 configuration on my 64-bit development workstation.

After getting the system to function I installed Microsoft Office 2010, VS2010, VS2010 SP1 all without any problems. Even updates for them went OK. However, on the Start Screen every little app associated with these installations appeared as tiles, many of which are usually never used or used occasionally.  It would be nice if only tiles corresponding to the shortcut Icons are created that are installed on the Windows 7 Desktop by the installer.

Just a note:  Windows 8 on this laptop is quite responsive and startup is faster; however, still trying to reconcile operational usage between Metro Apps and Classic Apps. At this point it still is clunky, but I am seeing how it may work in the future. 

Keep up the good work!!!!

• Edited by PeteJS Friday, September 16, 2011 4:52 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Thought of a couple more.

I would like to see a static back button in apps. I know that the apps we were given with the dev preview where just samples, but some of them have back buttons that are buried.

Easier navigation in IE10. I would like to see a static(always there) back and forward button in IE10 or assigned gestures for moving backward and forward. Something like: Large swipe to the left for backward, large swipe to the right for forward.

I also think that there should be the availability of additional features installed through windows update. Much like iOS and Windows Phone 7.

Thanks Guys for listening.

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Windows 8 should have consistent processing speed from the installation to years latter, and it shouldn't slows down gradually after the installation.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 6:21 PM
  • I agree, but this provides a particular challenge because it is no the OS itself that slows down, nor is it the hardware. The real issue is the software that gets installed on the PC. I am no expert, but this is my experience. I have two computers, one is a Media Center desktop that I built myself, the other is a laptop. Both have had completely clean installs of windows. My laptop gets used for everything, playing videos, browsing the web, documents, pictures. My media center rarely gets used for anything other than recording and playing back TV. My media center runs just as good as the day I installed it, but my laptop has gradually slown down. This is because of all the extra software on my laptop, it slows it all down. No extra software (for the most part) has been installed on my Media Center. Just my observation.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Don't know if you already saw it: If you move your mouse to the lower left corner of the screen and choose "Settings" then a bar appears on the right side of the screen. At the bottom of the bar you will find a power on/off icon that allows to shut down the system. But I agree, first I looked at the user tile for shutdown, too.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Great list, LGrzy, I want to add some more:

- Support of favorites when IE is in metro mode.

- Quicker access to the classic Control Panel especially when in desktop mode. I know you can also open it from the Explorer but its too much clicks to get there.

- For the new metro Control Panel: In the Wireless section display wireless networks and allow to enter a key there (similar to the settings bar)

- In the Settings bar a wireless network icon is shown. Below you see the name of the currently connected network. I know that one can connect to VPNs, too, by clicking on that icon but I would not expect it when seeing the icon. On idea to improve the situation is to write the label "Networks" below the icon and the name of the connected network below it in paranthesis.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:33 PM