Remote Desktop: What tasks should we or should we not do? RRS feed

• Question

• I was on the phone with a PSS rep and they told me that iisreset /restart wasn't supposed to be run on remote desktop in Azure.

What things should be/shouldn't be done with RD?

I want to make sure I use it for what is intended.   

Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi ChrisLaMont,

The Azure RDP is suitable for trouble shooting, you may use it to check the error log or any trace log, checking system/application configuration. For simplicity, just see, not modify. And only for debug usage, you may change some configuration and test if applicaiton works as you expected.

Thanks,

Mog Liang
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    • Proposed as answer by Mog Liang Friday, March 25, 2011 6:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mog Liang Friday, April 1, 2011 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:37 AM

All replies

• I can't figure out why an iisreset /restart can't be run in Azure, I think that the only thing that you should have into consideration is that when the instance gets recycled all operations performed via RD are lost because a fresh copy of the VM is started,  

In my case I use RD to check the startup tasks status prior deploying to final version to production, in general I think it can be used as a pre-production tunning tool.

Regards,
    Alfredo

Sunday, March 20, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Remote Desktop is only valuable on a Role instance for troubleshooting You should not change anything. You can however test certain settings before you go into production and figure out how to set them using startup tasks.

Changes made by you RDP-ing into a Role instance will result in different behavior between instances of the same Role and your changes will be lost when the Role instance is recycled.

With regards,

Patriek

www.patriekvandorp.net
    If this reply is of help to you, please don't forget to mark it as an answer.
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:32 PM
  • It may be too early to know this, but I'd like to know what things did PSS (is it called PSS?) had in mind with Remote Desktop?  What specific tasks were deemed valuable enough to warrant this?

I spoke to a weekend Azure backup tech staff yesterday (from Charolette) and he was quite informative about what how to effectively use this tool.  At some point it would be nice to see a list of intended uses perhaps in a whitepaper, blog, or forum post.

Otherwise others -like myself- may treat it like a standard R2 instance and learn by trial-by-failure.  Leveraging your team's expertise is much more efficient.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Hi ChrisLaMont,

The Azure RDP is suitable for trouble shooting, you may use it to check the error log or any trace log, checking system/application configuration. For simplicity, just see, not modify. And only for debug usage, you may change some configuration and test if applicaiton works as you expected.

Thanks,

Mog Liang
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    • Proposed as answer by Mog Liang Friday, March 25, 2011 6:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mog Liang Friday, April 1, 2011 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:37 AM