none
Cannot send email with large attachments in .NET 4.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a .NET application that sends emails with large attachments. Almost a year back when I deployed this application, our production server was on .NET 4.0 framework. I found this problem early and was able to fix it by installing "support.microsoft.com/kb/2468871/en-us" update, which lists that it fixed the issue KB2183292.

Recently, we upgraded the production server to .NET 4.5.1 framework (which is an in-place update). After this install, the problem is back and I am not finding any hotfix for .NET 4.5.1 for this issue.

Please help.

Thanks.

• Moved by Eason_H Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi manu79,

I  am from the .NET Framework team.

You can also send a mail to netfx45compat @ microsoft.com with details about your repro so that we can find the root cause. Ideally, this issue should not be occurring in .NET 4.5.1, but we can investigate more to get to the bottom of this using some of your details.

Thanks,

Vivek Mishra - MSFT

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:37 PM

All replies

• Hi manu79,

I’m afraid that it is not the correct forum about this issue, since this forum is to discuss Visual C#.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:26 AM
  • Hello manu79,

Sounds like you need to open a new feedback here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=5303&FeedbackType=1

Please note that we may not able to fix this issue for you since it is related to product itself. You can also try create a support ticket about this issue.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:54 AM
  • Thanks for pointing that out. I see that this has been moved to a different forum that seems more appropriate.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:08 PM
  • Thanks Barry. I will try to open up a support ticket.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:09 PM
  • You are welcome manu79, If you have time, please feel free to share the support result here.

Thanks,

Barry Wang

Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:21 AM
  • Hi manu79,

I  am from the .NET Framework team.

You can also send a mail to netfx45compat @ microsoft.com with details about your repro so that we can find the root cause. Ideally, this issue should not be occurring in .NET 4.5.1, but we can investigate more to get to the bottom of this using some of your details.

Thanks,

Vivek Mishra - MSFT

Friday, February 21, 2014 9:37 PM
  • For others who may meet the same problem, please check Vivek Mishra's post. I will mark this case as an answer for you to check.

Regards,

Barry Wang

Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

Few details from our internal investigation:

1. This issue was fixed in .NET 4 via the 2468871 patch.
    2. We tested this again with an app targeting 4.5.1 and one targeting 4.0, with 4.5.1 Framework installed. In both cases the issue does not repro.

Can you also try the following test code say using a 3MB file attachment and check if the code works in your environment?

Console.WriteLine("Sending large mail");

SmtpClient client = new SmtpClient("smtphost");

client.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultNetworkCredentials;

MailMessage msg = new MailMessage("***@microsoft.com", "***@microsoft.com", "Large Attachment Mail", "Large Attachment - Test Body");

Attachment attachment = new Attachment(@"C:\Temp\3mb.dat");

msg.Attachments.Add(attachment);

client.Send(msg);

Thanks,

Vivek Mishra - MSFT

Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:16 AM