WIndows Mobile 6.5 SMS PDU format RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I was wondering if Windows Mobile 6.5 can handle SMS in PDU format? Like send/receive?
    I'm trying to send/receive small quantity data through SMS, only PDU format (8-bit data) is proper.

I tried to use MessageInterceptor, but it looks like only deal with 7-bit text SMS.

Thanks a lot.

Monday, February 22, 2010 4:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• I found something about MessageInterceptor.
    If it received a 7-bit PDU, it will decode it, and return
    If it received a 8-bit PDU, it will return " The message can't be displayed ..." in message body.

I was wondering, if I can get the original PDU data somewhere, instead of getting "The message can't be displayed..."
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:00 PM
  • You can try creating a MAPI Rule Client (IMailRuleClient). In this way you might get the "raw" message body.  Please read the following article for details:
    Receiving SMS Messages Inside a Managed Application 

Here is an interesting article about dealing with the PDU format:
    Library for Decode/Encode SMS PDU

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.

• Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, February 26, 2010 3:37 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Windows Mobile does not seem to handle text SMS with 8-bit encoding. Only binary 8 bit messages are handled.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Thanks Chensheng! I may go to try IMailRuleClient. I was wondering if you have any sample code in c#?

Actually if the MessageInterceptor has a member returns the raw data that would be totally enough. I don't need it to decode for me. I have to do it myself because the message has very customized information, has to be 8-bits.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Actually I need to send data (in 8-bit) over SMS. Now it's sending out in PDU format which can deal with 8-bit data.

My windows mobile 6.5 phone received it. I tried to use MessageInterceptor to get the message. But the message body in the interceptor is a decoded one. For 8-bit data, it returns "The message can't be display" which replaced the original data. The replacement is the problem I have to face, 'cause I can get my original 8-bit data.

For a 7-bit GSM encoding SMS, the MessageInterceptor can decode it and return back the decoded data.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:26 PM