Migrate MySQL to SQL Server 2014 Express RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I wanted to migrate some databases from mysql to sql server 2014 express, I tried to use the "Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant v6.0 for MySQL" but it requires the SQL Server Agent, which is not available in the express edition.

I must say, I quite disappointed, because I don't understand why a migration tool needs the sql server agent? It has only to read the schema and the data from one side and write to the other side, it doesn't need to run any job. Second why MS is expecting an enterprise license for sql server to use the migration tool? MySql is famous for the LAMP stack, this means web applications and it's correspondent in the MS environment is the sql server express edition.

Now I'm trying to migrate the database with other applications, but the generate sql is not always compatible with sql server. Has somebody already found a software to migrate the databases from mysql to sql server?

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:49 AM

Answers

• The documentation indicates that this is possible however you need to choose 'client side migration' rather than server-side migration.

The client-side migration is self contained so doesn't need the agent. 

See here

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh313136%28v=sql.110%29.aspx

When SQL Express edition is used as the target database, only client side data migration is allowed and server side data migration is not supported.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 11:31 AM
  • My preference would be to use the script as you're likely to have to do some fixes when doing a migration like this. The migration assistant might get you 80% there. 
    However you can use the GUI to initiate the sync by right-clicking on the targetdb and using the following option

• Marked as answer by Stefano o Monday, June 8, 2015 10:49 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:33 AM

All replies

• The documentation indicates that this is possible however you need to choose 'client side migration' rather than server-side migration.

The client-side migration is self contained so doesn't need the agent. 

See here

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh313136%28v=sql.110%29.aspx

When SQL Express edition is used as the target database, only client side data migration is allowed and server side data migration is not supported.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 11:31 AM
  • Hello,

Have a look at DBConvert software for your migration tasks automation. 

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, perhaps I'm doing something wrong, when I convert the schema from mysql to sql server, I see the tables in the sql server metadata explorer but it doesn't create them, it's just a "projection". If I try to migrate the data, I receive an error that all the tables are missing. Now I have found, that I can generate a script to create the database, but is there a way to generate the database from the migration assistant directly?
    Thursday, June 4, 2015 7:30 AM
  • My preference would be to use the script as you're likely to have to do some fixes when doing a migration like this. The migration assistant might get you 80% there. 
    However you can use the GUI to initiate the sync by right-clicking on the targetdb and using the following option

• Marked as answer by Stefano o Monday, June 8, 2015 10:49 AM
    Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:33 AM
  • Thanks, I was looking for a "Save" button, I didn't think that I had to "synchronize" the database.
    Monday, June 8, 2015 10:48 AM