none
text selection behavior in EW3 RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to use the mouse to "sweep" out a text selection, invariably, the selection jumps to, and includes, all the way to the top of the page. In a related issue, I have to put my cursor very finely on the very end of a <p> or <h> area before the cursor switches to selection.

This is on Win 7

Can anyone offer any suggestion to get rid of this annoyance? To get around it, I have to set the cursor (just right; see 2nd issue above), then Shift+UpArrow till I get what I want selected. Okay for smallish selections, not so hot for larger ones.

This behavior is only observed in EW3.

"I don't want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for awhile."
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:35 AM

All replies

• This is a known issue that has been around since at least EW2 (which is where I came in) and possibly as far back as EW1. Not everyone experiences this issue (I don't, for one), which both makes it difficult to reliably replicate, and therefore debug and fix, and also indicates that there may be physical hardware factors involved (mouse, display, drivers for either or both, etc.).

It doesn't particularly affect me because I'm a keyboard jockey and spend 99% of my time in code view, where the issue does not exist. Some have suggested that they've noticed it happening when their initial click point for the selection is significantly distant from where the cursor focus was in code view, as if the program were trying to select from that point to the initial click point. It may help, therefore, to move the cursor first in code view to where you wish to begin selecting. Or, it may not.

In any event, there's not much (well, not anything) that we can do about it. We're not Microsoft, not tech support, just volunteers who come here on our own time to help others. File it over on Connect if you want anybody at Microsoft who can actually do anything about it to see it.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Well, scrolling in lots of programs happens really fast due to improved graphics subsystems and processors. Even Word has long been problemmatic.

The best solution for problem 1 is to click where you want to start, scroll to the end point, then Shift-click. That highlights everything in between, as it does in Word. Quick and clean.

It would be nice if EW had an F8 function like Word, though (Extend Selection)

Don't know what exactly your describing with the second scenario.

You might check to see that you have the latest mouse and video drivers from each manufacturer (EW is sensitive to that sometimes).

And if you have a retail copy of EW3, download the free EW4 updgrade (although the fast overshooting during highlighting is still a feature).

Eschew obfuscation.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:49 AM
  • It has only happened to me once and when I flattened -re loaded my computer it never came back. Drastic but I'd been running some betas so figured there was corruption left from one or more of them.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:49 AM