Auto populating Repeating table with user input column RRS feed

• Question

•  I am working on infopath forms and I  got into one problem. Actually, I have a sharepoint list. Its a list of products from different brands. I have 3 columns in sharepoint list named. Brands, Product Name, Price.
    I need to get the brands in the dropdown in infopath form. Then according to the brands selected by the user, all the product names and prices from that brand has to be autopopulated in the repeating table.  But the difficult part is: I have to have another column in repeating table beside the  Product Name and Price. I have to have column in repeating table named "Add/Remove " and I need to have Add and Remove radio buttons in this column where user can select either add or remove. Everytime i try to add column and then add radiobutton, i get cannot be bound error. is there a way to do it?
    Or is there any other way to solve my problem. all I had to do is.. User gets the list of brands. they select a brand and gets all the products with its prices under that brand. user has to add or remove those products from their list. Any help with this is greatly appreciated
    Thankx in advance
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:52 AM

Answers

• I thought I didn't make myself clear because my problem was to synchronize Add/Remove radio buttons with the auto populating repeating table and user has to click on those Add/Remove  radio buttons as their requirement. You gave me "5 different ways to submit the form to the SharePoint list" and I didnt need to submit it into SharePoint list. Thats why I thought I was not clear.

I addressed the radio button directly, though.  How are the users going to add or remove rows to anything without submitting back to the list where they came from?  Where are you trying to add the rows and from what are you trying to remove them?  That data exists in the list and is only displayed in the form temporarily.  There is nothing to remove or add unless you're talking about the original data source.  Visibly adding and removing rows from what they're seeing in the form has no effect on any real data, and that data is not even stored in the form when it's submitted.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:01 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:37 AM

All replies

• Ok, so I assume you did the first part by dragging the repeating group of the list data connection to the canvas and then adding conditional formatting to the repeating table to only show items that match the dropdown selection?  Is this correct?  That's the only way to do it without code in a 2007 browser form, but you haven't said what type of form you're working, and that's critical information.

If you did what I said above, then you cannot add any fields to that table, because that table is SECONDARY DATA, and you're trying to add a field from the main data source.  You can't do that.  If you want that secondary table to have radio buttons, then you have to add a new text field to your SharePoint list and update the data connection so that it pulls in that field.  Then, that field can be added to your repeating table, and you can convert the text box to a radio button.

However, that ONLY gets you the radio button.  This data is STILL not in your main data source, so your form can't do anything with it other than display it.  Also, InfoPath has no ability to add/remove/update data in lists at all, and especially not repeating data.  To do anything like that would require custom code or the CAML method.  Here are 5 potential methods for making that part work: 5 Ways to submit an InfoPath form to a SharePoint list - InfoPath ...

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Hi Clayton,

I am using browser enabled form in infopath 2007. Can you please guide me how to solve the problem?

I think I could not make myself clear.

I have one dropdown having Brand Names. On select of one item from the dropdown, I need to auto populate all the products and its prices in the form. Now I want to select multiple products and submit the form to SharePoint Library.

Generally to auto populate, I use repeating table. Is it possible to acheive my goal using repeating table? If not, what other ways are there to solve this issue?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Aerial, why did you think you didn't make yourself clear?  I replied to exactly what you just wrote again.  You said in your first email to me that you already had the dropdown part working.  Your exact words were:

"Actually, I have a sharepoint list. Its a list of products from different brands. I have 3 columns in sharepoint list named. Brands, Product Name, Price. I need to get the brands in the dropdown in infopath form. Then according to the brands selected by the user, all the product names and prices from that brand has to be autopopulated in the repeating table. I have done up to this.  But the difficult part is: I have to have another column..."

So, you've already done that part, right?  You already know how to make that work, so I focused on the difficult part, and I directly answered it, so what is the issue?  I don't personally write code nor add any code to my forms, but you are going to have to add code to accomplish your goal, and I gave you an article with 5 different ways to do it.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:39 AM
  • I thought I didn't make myself clear because my problem was to synchronize Add/Remove radio buttons with the auto populating repeating table and user has to click on those Add/Remove  radio buttons as their requirement. You gave me "5 different ways to submit the form to the SharePoint list" and I didnt need to submit it into SharePoint list. Thats why I thought I was not clear.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:04 AM

I addressed the radio button directly, though.  How are the users going to add or remove rows to anything without submitting back to the list where they came from?  Where are you trying to add the rows and from what are you trying to remove them?  That data exists in the list and is only displayed in the form temporarily.  There is nothing to remove or add unless you're talking about the original data source.  Visibly adding and removing rows from what they're seeing in the form has no effect on any real data, and that data is not even stored in the form when it's submitted.
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:01 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:37 AM