none
Visual Studio 10 Cannot Resize Add Reference window

Question

• I made a very huge mistake and trusted Microsoft.

I am using Visual Studio 2010 on windows 10.

I double clicked on caption of Add Reference Dialog box by mistake and it maximized.

Tried double clicking again to restore it, it didn't work.

Closed and opened it, it didn't work,

Right click on caption and select restore it didn't work,

Tried to resize it using mouse drag from its borders it didn't work,

Right click on window caption and selected resize and tried moving borders with cursor keys, it didn't work.

I made a backup of visual studio registry keys, deleted them all and restarted visual studio. all setting were reset but that window is still same size.

I uninstalled visual studio and installed again, the window is still same size.

How can I make Add Reference window small again? Where the hell its size setting stored?

Friday, November 20, 2015 4:10 AM

Answers

• One more time an non-related matter causing bug in Microsoft products.

As I mentioned I am using windows 10 which was the reason for this bug.

For a reason that is not clear to me, setting of that window is stored in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32

unfortunately there is no easy way of saying which ID belongs to mentioned "Add Reference" window so I deleted all the whole key and sub keys. window returned to normal size.

However if you try to grab the window and change its size, you can increase it but you cannot reduce it. This is not related to deleting that registry key as it will be created again.

• Marked as answer by BobSort1 Friday, November 20, 2015 8:45 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 8:45 AM

All replies

• One more time an non-related matter causing bug in Microsoft products.

As I mentioned I am using windows 10 which was the reason for this bug.

For a reason that is not clear to me, setting of that window is stored in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32

unfortunately there is no easy way of saying which ID belongs to mentioned "Add Reference" window so I deleted all the whole key and sub keys. window returned to normal size.

However if you try to grab the window and change its size, you can increase it but you cannot reduce it. This is not related to deleting that registry key as it will be created again.

• Marked as answer by BobSort1 Friday, November 20, 2015 8:45 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 8:45 AM
  • Hi BobSort1,

Thank you for sharing the solution to us.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:28 AM