Unable to install MS Visual Studio Express after aborted installation RRS feed

• Question

• I started installing Visual Studio Express yesterday, and then had to pack up and go home.  So, I pressed the cancel button to stop the installation.  Apparently this did not back out the components that were already installed.  Today I'm trying again to install the package, and the installation stops with "Setup could not install the following component:  Microsoft Application Error Reporting".  I figured that it was already installed, so I went to the control panel to try to uninstall anything that was already installed, and didn't see any of the components in the "Add/Remove Programs list."  So, I'm stumped as to what to do to get this package to install.  Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hi dmbaum,

Thanks for sending me the email.

I have checked your installation logs, and find the error message below:

[04/25/11,10:00:53] InstallReturnValue: GFN_MID Microsoft Application Error Reporting, 0x641
    [04/25/11,10:00:53] Microsoft Application Error Reporting: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft Application Error Reporting. MSI returned error code 1601

For the error code hex 0x641 / decimal 1601, it means ERROR_INSTALL_SERVICE_FAILURE, which translate to "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed".

According to the error message, this issue should be related with your Windows Installer service.

Would you please help to check that the Windows Installer service is set to manual but not disable via the following steps:

1. Click Start menu, click Run, type services.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Services (Local) list, right-click Windows Installer, and then click Properties.
    3. If the Startup type drop-down list is set to a value of Disable, select the Manual option from the Startup type drop-down list, and then click OK.
    4. Click the File menu, and then click Exit.

You can try download and install the latest Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable

ALso, please refer the below link in the Windows installer issues section to know more about fixing some issues related with the service.

Additionally, I've noticed that you have some removable devices connect to your computer while installing, please also remove them during the installation.

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:36 AM

All replies

• Hi dmbaum,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

First, there are several things I would like to clarify with you:

• What is your Windows version?
    • What is the Visual Studio Express version you are trying to install?

According to your description, the problem you are having is:

• When first time installing VS Express, you have cancled the installation;
    • When trying to install it again, the setup reports "Setup could not install the following component...";
    • You can not find the entry of Microsoft Application Error Reporting in program list.

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

To resolve this issue, you can perform the steps below:

1. Use the Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility to uninstall the failed VS Express components;
    2. Before install Visual Studio, please finish the steps below first:
      • Turn off your anti-virus/antispyware software during installation;
      • Install the latest Windows updates from the Windows Update site: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com;
      • Complete or dismiss Windows Update before installation. (And don't forget to turn it on later);
      • Clean your %temp% folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%);
    3. Then run the Visual Studio setup with Administrator privilege: right-click the installer -> Run as administrator.

If the installation still failed, please collect the installation log files from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

You can send the vslogs.cab file in the %temp% folder to me (E-mail: v-anwu_at_microsoft_dot_com) for further support. Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 25, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Hi Andrew - Thanks for your response.  You've got the description exactly correct, though in retrospect, I left out one detail.  By the time I clicked the Cancel button on the original install attempt, the progress window had stated that the first component (Microsoft Application Error Reporting) had been installed (all or partly, I'm not sure).  So, I think that it's failing on that same component in subsequent install attempts because the installer thinks that it already exists. 

This is my work computer, so I'm not sure that I could even turn off the antivirus if I tried, and I've been told that I've got administrator privileges under my own account.

In any case, I ran the uninstall tool that you pointed me too, cleaned out the %temp% directory, and got the same error when attempting to install again.  I've collected the logs and am sending them to you via a separate e-mail. 

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Monday, April 25, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hi dmbaum,

Thanks for sending me the email.

I have checked your installation logs, and find the error message below:

[04/25/11,10:00:53] InstallReturnValue: GFN_MID Microsoft Application Error Reporting, 0x641
    [04/25/11,10:00:53] Microsoft Application Error Reporting: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft Application Error Reporting. MSI returned error code 1601

For the error code hex 0x641 / decimal 1601, it means ERROR_INSTALL_SERVICE_FAILURE, which translate to "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed".

According to the error message, this issue should be related with your Windows Installer service.

Would you please help to check that the Windows Installer service is set to manual but not disable via the following steps:

1. Click Start menu, click Run, type services.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Services (Local) list, right-click Windows Installer, and then click Properties.
    3. If the Startup type drop-down list is set to a value of Disable, select the Manual option from the Startup type drop-down list, and then click OK.
    4. Click the File menu, and then click Exit.

You can try download and install the latest Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable

ALso, please refer the below link in the Windows installer issues section to know more about fixing some issues related with the service.

Additionally, I've noticed that you have some removable devices connect to your computer while installing, please also remove them during the installation.

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Hi dmbaum,

Since you have not post back in serveral days, I mark this thread as answered. If your problem still exists, please feel free to unmark it. And we will continue help you to resolve this issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 10:53 AM