Dynamic positioning of text boxes in SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a user table with Label and value fields where i would like to control the display of the text boxes based on the values selected in my user table.Can we adjust the text box positions dynamically based on the user table values.

Ex: Table

Label1 Field1 Label2  Field2  Label3 Field3
    ID       100                           Dept   Sales

Report Design :

Label1: ID    Field1:100

Label2:          Field2:

Label3:Dept   Field3:Sales

Expected Result :

Label1: ID    Field1:100

Label3:Dept   Field3:Sales

In my table i don't have values for Label 2 & Field 2 , can we adjust the spacing conditionally to be utilized by Label3 & Field3 in SSRS.

Note : Above mentioned data is just for an example and in my actual report i can have more than 3 columns and report is looking ugly with all the spacing if i don't have data in all the fields.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks,

Sam

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 12:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Sam,

If you query out the column which doesn't contain any data, then place the column in a tablix, it will occupy the space in the report, so the next column value will not occupy this row. In your scenario, you can avoid querying out those columns which don't contain any value. When you drag columns from the dataset to the tablix, the report wil not display blank cell.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 2, 2015 12:20 PM
  • Or put the data in 3 Tablix's and stack them under each other. When there is no data for that tablix it shouldn't display.

Gavin Clayton Claytabase Ltd www.claytabase.co.uk

Friday, October 2, 2015 12:49 PM
  • Could you just hide the row based on the value of field? 

=IF(Fields!Field1.Value = nothing OR Fields!Field1.Value == '')

Don't forget to mark helpful posts, and answers. It helps others to find relevant posts to the same question. Enjoyed my post? Hit the up arrow (left)
    Really enjoyed it? See my profile!
    My Tech Net Articles.

Friday, October 2, 2015 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

According to your description, each row contains label value and field value, if one row doesn’t contain any label and field values, you want to move the neat row up to the place of this row, right?

In your scenario, you can hide the blank value row, so that the next row which contains the data will move up automatically. Please refer to screenshots below:

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 2:11 AM
  • Hi Qiuyun Yu,

Thanks for your reply.I don't want to hide that permanently.If i don't have data in that column instead of leaving as a blank i just want to move the next column positions to the previous row.

Ex: If Label 1 & Filed 1 are blank then i would like to utilize that space for next fields.

and in my report i have across 3 and down 8 columns , If any of the columns in between have blank values report should be able to fill that space with the next fields.

Thanks,

Sam

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 3:10 AM
  • Hi Sam,

If you query out the column which doesn't contain any data, then place the column in a tablix, it will occupy the space in the report, so the next column value will not occupy this row. In your scenario, you can avoid querying out those columns which don't contain any value. When you drag columns from the dataset to the tablix, the report wil not display blank cell.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Friday, October 2, 2015 12:20 PM
  • Or put the data in 3 Tablix's and stack them under each other. When there is no data for that tablix it shouldn't display.

Gavin Clayton Claytabase Ltd www.claytabase.co.uk

Friday, October 2, 2015 12:49 PM
  • Could you just hide the row based on the value of field? 

=IF(Fields!Field1.Value = nothing OR Fields!Field1.Value == '')

Don't forget to mark helpful posts, and answers. It helps others to find relevant posts to the same question. Enjoyed my post? Hit the up arrow (left)
    Really enjoyed it? See my profile!
    My Tech Net Articles.

Friday, October 2, 2015 1:47 PM
  • Hi Qiuyun Yu,

My apologies for confusing you all , I have to bring all the fields in my query even though they are not returning any value because we are providing customers to show or hide the labels and values through different interface.

My concern is if user wants to show only some of the columns 

Actual Result :

from the above example if user wants to display only some of the fields let's say 

I want to fill the space after Label1 & Value1 with the next Label6 & Value6 .Please let me know if you need any other details.

Thanks,

Sam

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:05 AM
  • Hi Sam,

Does [Label1] and [Value1] are separate fields within the dataset? Would you please share sample data? I'm confused about your requirement now. It would be better you can share some screenshots about report design and expected results.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:59 PM