none
.Net 1.1 connectivity to oracle 11g RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to find if applications on .NET 1.1 are able to connect to Oracle database 10g and 11g release.

Can the .NET application use System.Data.OracleClient (Microsoft OracleClient) to connect to the database. We are upgrading the DB from 8i to 11g and the application using the DB is on framework 1.1. We need to have minimal changes to application.

Sachin Chugh, TCS - Mumbai
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 11:08 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can connect using the System.Data.OracleClient namespace in 1.1. Not that it may be of concern to you at this point but this namespace has been deprecated as of .NET Framework version 4.0. It is recommended that you use a third-party library, such as Oracle's ODP.NET.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:57 AM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:33 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can connect using the System.Data.OracleClient namespace in 1.1. Not that it may be of concern to you at this point but this namespace has been deprecated as of .NET Framework version 4.0. It is recommended that you use a third-party library, such as Oracle's ODP.NET.
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:57 AM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Is it also possible to use the OLEBD provider MSDAORA or MSDAORA.1 from ASP application to connect to Oracle 11g? Probably its not anymore supported, but are there any known issues or the ASP application will work the same way as it was with Oracle 8i.

Akshay

Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:30 AM
  • Yes, you can still use the Microsoft OLEDB Provider for Oracle with 11g but it does have some limitations (such as being unable to work with BLOB and CLOB data types).
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:42 PM
  • We have a .Net 1.1 application connecting to Oracle 9i R2. We are in the process of upgrading the DB to 11g but the application is throwing a Ora-12154: TNS: Could not resolve service name error. There is an Oracle 10g client installed on the server on which IIS/.Net is running. Are there any issues of compatibility between .Net 1.1 and Oracle 11g that we should be aware of. I have to confirm this but I think it is using the .NET Framework Data Provider (Microsoft's driver).

Please advise.

Vinny

Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:52 PM
  • Unless your application is an ASP.NET web app I would suspect it's an Oracle Client configuration issue.
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:31 PM
  • Hi Paul -- I am not .Net expert and not sure how to confirm whether it is an ASP.NET app or not. All I know is that it is a .Net 1.1 App connecting to Oracle. I was able to configure a new connection entry in Oracle Client for this 11g database and was able to successfully connect to it. In fact, I even confirmed that we can connect to this 11g DB from this server using a SQL*Plus program.

How can I confirm what type of connecting it is using to connect to the Oracle DB..

I looked at the web.config file and it is something like..

<add key="OraDB" value="Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=TCP.pfizer.com)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=XXX)(Port=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=XXX)(GLOBAL_NAME=XXX)));User Id=XXX;Password=XXX;" />

Any thoughts?

Vinny

Friday, March 4, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Well since you mentioned Web.config, that would make it an ASP.NET web app. A Winform app would use an App.config file.

Assuming the Oracle configuration is set up properly there may be a permissions issue with respect to the Oracle Home folder for 11g. The below info is from Oracle's Metalink site:

OLEDBException: ORA-12154: TNS Could Not Resolve Service Name [ID 256936.1]

Modified 21-SEP-2010     Type PROBLEM     Status PUBLISHED  

In this Document
      Symptoms
      Cause
      Solution

Applies to:

Oracle Provider for OLE DB - Version: 10.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.1 - Release: 10.2 to 11.2
    Microsoft Windows (32-bit)
    Checked for relevance on 12-DEC-2007.

Symptoms

While using ASP.NET with Oracle Provider for OLEDB you encounter
    OLEDBException: TNS-12154: TNS could not resolve service name

Cause

The ASPNET and IUSR_machinename did not have permissions on the Oracle Home folder.

Solution

Need to add ASPNET and IUSR_machinename user of local machine in permissions for Oracle Home folder. On the Oracle Home Folder, right click then choose properties. Add users called ASPNET and IUSR_machinename under the security tab. Also add a IUSR_machinename.
    Where machinename is your local machine name.
    Stop and restart IIS.

Friday, March 4, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Dear Paul, can you help me, I've started a new thread at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/asmxandxml/thread/97bd659d-9bd2-4626-8ff8-ffd85405cc3c.
    Bing Yan, E-mail: bing.yan@fujixerox.co.jp Fuji Xerox Solution Developing Centre, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:54 AM