none
SQL server DSN in Mac 10.8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I've a macro that uses SQL server DSN. In windows, the macro works fine. How do I setup ODBC Connection in Mac so the macro works on Mac as well? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Amol

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Amol,

Thanks for posting on MSDN forum.

This forum is for developers discussing issues on the Windows platform. Since the issue realtes to how to set up the ODBC connection in Mac, I suggest you get support from Mac.

Also if you have any issue about developing macro on the Mac you can get more effective response from Office for Mac forum.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Amol,

Thanks for posting on MSDN forum.

This forum is for developers discussing issues on the Windows platform. Since the issue realtes to how to set up the ODBC connection in Mac, I suggest you get support from Mac.

Also if you have any issue about developing macro on the Mac you can get more effective response from Office for Mac forum.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:45 AM
  • Microsoft Word does not let you access ODBC data sources on Mac (the facility was removed a long time ago, although the VBA documentaiton suggested for a long time that it was possible). Excel will let you set up an ODBC data source via MS Query, but the connection is read-only. 

There was a bit of discussion in the Mac Word group here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macword/converting-three-apps-in-word-vba-connecting-to/78b2eb9e-b5bc-473d-89a5-f2bba003aaae

You will also need a suitable driver (AFAIK Microsoft do not make one for Mac OSX at the moment), and you may need an ODBC driver manager. Personally, I have only ever used the driver by Actualtech  ( http://www.actualtech.com ) and followed their instructions. AFAICR there were limitations, e.g. no possibility to create File DSNs. 

There are drivers by Openlink and at www.iODBC.org,. At least some of that stuff is Open Source, but I cannot tell you whether the Open Source versions run on all (recent) versions of Mac OSX. OpenLink has a number of different product families and I think you would need to follow their instructions to get any kind of ODBC connection to work.

In either case, you would also need to verify that you can use the features you need in SQL Server, and deal with its security expectations.

Peter Jamieson

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:59 PM