Solving Test Manager access for testers without Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• We have a lot of internal testers within our company from departments outside of development. These testers does not have Visual Studio but we would still like them to have access and be able to execute tests in Test Manager. I guess this is one of the reasons why every other test managemnt tool I've worked with has a web client.

So, how do we solve this with Test Manager (without buying Visual Studio to the whole company)?

1. Anyone knows if Microsoft plans to release a test manager web?

2. What does the the license rules say about having a server (or shared pc) that many people can access remotely to run Test Manager?

3. Has anyone tried this third party tool? http://selagroup.com/WTM#

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:44 AM

Answers

• 1. Not that I've heard of.

2. Nothing really. But the licence is "per user" not "per machine". So I guess that setup would be ok as long as you pay a TFS CAL for each and every user that uses that machine. But I would talk to a Microsoft rep to make sure.

3. Have not tried it but it is the tool I would chose in your situation.

JESPER FERNSTRÖM
    Transcendent Group

• Marked as answer by mattias_s Friday, June 8, 2012 5:30 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi mattias_s,

Thank you for your post.

You can install Microsoft Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 to use MTM without VS installed. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24988

As far as i know, MTM is client tool, there is no web version, or provide user a license to use MTM on remote machine. Can put TFS server in cloud.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Proposed as answer by niveditabawa_MSFT Wednesday, June 6, 2012 8:18 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by mattias_s Friday, June 8, 2012 5:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:46 AM
  • That I know, but that would still require a VS Test Professional license and a client installation for every occasional tester.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Hi mattias_s,

To use MTM, one way is install vs ultimate or test professional, a vs license, or a test professional license is needed.

There is no other way to use MTM.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 7:13 AM
  • 1. Not that I've heard of.

2. Nothing really. But the licence is "per user" not "per machine". So I guess that setup would be ok as long as you pay a TFS CAL for each and every user that uses that machine. But I would talk to a Microsoft rep to make sure.

3. Have not tried it but it is the tool I would chose in your situation.

JESPER FERNSTRÖM
    Transcendent Group

• Marked as answer by mattias_s Friday, June 8, 2012 5:30 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:00 PM