none
Outlook add-in is disabled if boot time is > 1000 ms. How the outlook boot time is calculated. RRS feed

• Question

• We are making initial server connection on AddinModule_AddinInitialize method. I observed the time taken for the initialization(700ms) is completely independent of the Outlook RMS add-in boot time(157ms).

I delayed the server response for 10 sec, to check the add-in boot time. [added WAITFOR DELAY '00:00:10'; on the login proc]
    1) Outlook installation takes 10 sec. (we can see outlook displed to the user after 10 sec)
    2) But the Outlook RMS add-in boot time is still 157ms.

Unfortunately for some users, Boot time is more than 1000 ms, so add-in is disabled. 

------------------------------------------------------
    Name: FactSet RMS MSOutlook Save Add-In
    Description: AddinModule
    ProgID: RedAlertsMSOutlookAddinX.AddinModule
    GUID:

{294DED6A-4680-41BE-A2A7-0178D45C869C}

Load Behavior: 3
    HKLM: 1
    Boot Time (Milliseconds): 157

How this boot time is calculated.

Monday, April 16, 2018 8:25 PM

All replies

• Hi yjoseph1,

You had asked,"How this boot time is calculated."

For example, the startup metric measures the time required by each connected add-in during Outlook startup. Outlook then computes the median startup time over 5 successive iterations. If the median startup time exceeds 1000 milliseconds (1 second), then Outlook disables the add-in and displays a notification to the user that an add-in has been disabled. The user has the option of always enabling the add-in, in which case Outlook will not disable the add-in even if the add-in exceeds the 1000 millisecond performance threshold.

Reference:

Performance criteria for keeping add-ins enabled

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 1:41 AM
  • Hi Deepak, 

I have two log one which we get when the plugin is loaded.

GUID: {294DED6A-4680-41BE-A2A7-0178D45C869C}
    Load Behavior: 3
    Boot Time (Milliseconds): 594

The other one we have we get when the plugin is disabled.

Outlook disabled the following add-in(s):

GUID: {294DED6A-4680-41BE-A2A7-0178D45C869C}
    Load Behavior: 0
    Threshold Time (Milliseconds): 1000
    Time Taken (Milliseconds): 2937
    Disable Reason: This add-in caused Outlook to start slowly.
    Policy Exception (Allow List): 0 

In both, we have two things "Boot time" and "Time <g class="gr_ gr_171 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="171" id="171">taken</g>". My question is, How these two entities are connected to each other? How different are they from each other?

Thanks,

Mukesh

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:12 AM
  • Hi Mukesh Singh999,

In my opinion, both 'Boot Time' and 'Time Taken' displays the same value of time that taken by an Add in to get load.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:44 AM
  • Hi yjoseph1,

Is your issue is solved now?

I find that you did not done any follow up after creating this thread.

If your issue is fixed by you then I suggest you to post your solution and mark it as an answer.

If your issue is still exist then try to refer the suggestions given by the community members.

If you think that the suggestions given by the community member can solve your issue then mark the helpful suggestion as an answer.

It will help us to close this thread and it also can be helpful to other community members who will meet with same kind of issues in future.

If you have any further questions then you can let us know about it, We will try to provide you further suggestions to solve it.

I suggest you to update the status of this thread and take appropriate actions to close it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 9:45 AM
  • Hi Deepak 

We created this plugin by using AddInExpress. In some of the log, as we mentioned plugin gets disabled due to slowness. But when we try to replicate this we issue, in logs, we get "Boot time" around 200 milliseconds.

We also tried to replicate this by adding some delay in "private void AddinModule_AddinInitialize(object sender, EventArgs e)" Event, where all the initialization is happening. But it is not affecting Boot time, it remains same. 

We want to know how the environmental factors affect the load time of the Plugin. Please suggest, how exactly this boot time is calculated?

Thanks

Mukesh

Thursday, May 3, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Hi Mukesh Singh999,

You had asked,"how exactly this boot time is calculated?"

I have already informed you about the process of calculating the boot time of add in.

But the logic that works behind it is not revealed publically by Microsoft.

So we don't have information about how Outlook calculates and what logic it's using to calculate boot time.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 4, 2018 1:53 AM