Unable to execute native boot from VHD - Incorrect Digital Signature Error

Question

• It's odd because it has worked before.

I used WIM2VHD to convert ISO to VHD - http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/wim2vhd/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2603

Went fine and everything ok.I added boot menu entry for the VHD with Neosmart's BCDBoot - http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

However when i start from that boot entry get an error about winload.exe and incorrect digital signature.

Perhaps i need to use some other tool to convert the ISO to VHD?

Im not sure.Perhaps Windows 7 just doesent support booting VHD-s with windows 8 yet.Should not be a compatability error.Both my Windows 7 SP1 (fully updated) is x64 and so is the win8 image.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:15 PM

Answers

• Yep that's the guide i used.Created empty VHD.Attached it during setup and installed from USB stick to the empty VHD.Boots fine,works fine. Dunno why it does not work when converting ISO --> VHD.Im guessing WIM2VHD does something wrong when making the VHD bootable or Win7 bootloader is just unable to recoqnize the win8 VHD.

It is risky, but the only solution that I know of (that worked for me) is to replace the Windows 7 Boot loader with the Windows 8 one. Make sure that you are very careful (proceed at your own risk) though. There is a small potential for this to damage your system if done incorrectly. Here is what you do:

1. Open the command prompt as admin.

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (replace C:\ with whatever drive letter your copy of Windows 7 is installed on).

3. Mount your Windows 8 .iso file with your favorite .iso mounting tool (I use MagicDisc).

4. Enter bcdboot.exe V:\Windows (where V:\ is the drive letter for the mounted .iso).

It will update the BIOS to use the Windows 8 boot loader. I hope that this helps. A special thanks to Mister Goodcat for the tip!

Source: http://www.pitorque.de/MisterGoodcat/post/Installing-Windows-8-Developer-Preview-as-bootable-VHD.aspx

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:47 AM

All replies

• I have the same error. I'll try it now this way:

Guide to Installing and Booting Windows 8 Developer Preview off a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Yep that's the guide i used.Created empty VHD.Attached it during setup and installed from USB stick to the empty VHD.Boots fine,works fine. Dunno why it does not work when converting ISO --> VHD.Im guessing WIM2VHD does something wrong when making the VHD bootable or Win7 bootloader is just unable to recoqnize the win8 VHD.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:42 AM

It is risky, but the only solution that I know of (that worked for me) is to replace the Windows 7 Boot loader with the Windows 8 one. Make sure that you are very careful (proceed at your own risk) though. There is a small potential for this to damage your system if done incorrectly. Here is what you do:

1. Open the command prompt as admin.

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (replace C:\ with whatever drive letter your copy of Windows 7 is installed on).

3. Mount your Windows 8 .iso file with your favorite .iso mounting tool (I use MagicDisc).

4. Enter bcdboot.exe V:\Windows (where V:\ is the drive letter for the mounted .iso).

It will update the BIOS to use the Windows 8 boot loader. I hope that this helps. A special thanks to Mister Goodcat for the tip!

Source: http://www.pitorque.de/MisterGoodcat/post/Installing-Windows-8-Developer-Preview-as-bootable-VHD.aspx

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:47 AM