WebMatrix 3 and vs2013 RRS feed

• Question

• User483055775 posted

I saw a message/article/comment about being able to use vs2013 to do what we do now using the webmatrix IDE.  If true, would we be able to use visual studio 2013 debug on a webmatrix app.  I use and truly like using vs2012 at work and have for a few years but enjoy using webmatrix 3.  

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• User938738290 posted

A number of regular posters in here already use VS 2013 as their primary editor.  I know I do, I think CASPartan does as well, and I'm sure Mike has at some point.

WebMatrix streamlines a few of the processes required to run a site, including package management, connecting to data sources, and deployment.  (Probably some other things, too.)  Visual Studio requires additional manual configuration, but at the same time, gives you more control over your site, so it's a trade-off.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:17 PM
  • User483055775 posted

So is DEBUG available to us if we use VS2013 ? 

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:31 PM
  • User938738290 posted

Absolutely.  Visual Studio starts up an IIS Express process that serves your site, and attaches to it automatically.  (This may only be true if your project type is one of the "Web Site" types, I haven't tried it any other way.)

I use Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web, which can be downloaded for free at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40747.

Once you install, go to FILE -> New Web Site... and choose the "ASP.NET Web Site" option for your language (VB or C#) and Razor version (v2 for .NET 4.0 compatibility, v3 otherwise).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:43 PM
  • User-1416423428 posted

I used WebMatrix for a short time while I investigated this new WebPages/Razor syntax. 

I then switched to use Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web.  (because it allows me to use an IIS server and server bindings, (and not localhost:9999), which lets me preview my dev site on other devices (ipad, win8 tablet, etc). 

I haven't used the Debugger of VS Express because *I don't make mistakes*. LOL! 

Well, I don't know how... so I just pepper my code with Response.Write() during testing and debugging. -- old school way like in Classic ASP.  old habits die hard. 

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:26 PM
  • User483055775 posted

Yea, same here. I havent made a mistake since the day I said I dont make misteaks.  <lol>.  And thank you very much

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:37 PM
  • User483055775 posted

So other than gaining the use of DEBUG again, what other advantages are there to moving from the webmatrix ide to using VS2013 IDE ( I have both 2012 and 2013 btw ).  I have off and on continued to use the webmatrix ide because ....  it works and it works fine on my smaller machines (notebook) as well as my desktop.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:58 PM
  • User-821857111 posted
    1. WebMatrix doesn't support Web Pages 3.
    2. WebMatrix doesn't seem to be getting any attention by way of bug fixes or enhancements. 
    3. WebMatrix integration with Visual Studio Online/TFS is woeful.
    4. WebMatrix Nuget integration is buggy
    5. VS provides full Intellisense, not just code completion. 
    6. VS provides a proper debugger.
    7. You can build class libraries with VS, which means you can do things like use Entity Framework Migrations with your web pages site.
    8. VS proivdes a lot of extra tools/options like organising your usings with a couple of clicks, refactoring code throughout the solution with a couple of key presses, snippets management and so on.

I only use WebMatrix as a kind of scratch pad - for writing quick one or two liners that end up getting posted here as answers. I don't use it for proper development.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:14 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

Well, I don't know how...  

Learn. It's easy at a basic level. Just hit F9 when your cursor is on a line of code then hit F5 to run your app in debug mode. When your breakpoint is hit, click F10 to advance line by line through the rest of the code and look at the Locals window, or hover over vriables to find out their type, value etc.

so I just pepper my code with Response.Write() during testing and debugging. -- old school way like in Classic ASP.

Response.Write doesn't work in the same way in ASP.NET as in classic ASP. In ASP.NET, the output gets injected at the beginning of the Response - before the opening HTML tag. Nasty habit.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:20 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

Here's an article on using VS for Web Pages: http://www.asp.net/web-pages/overview/using-visual-studio/program-asp-net-web-pages-in-visual-studio

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:32 PM
  • User-1416423428 posted

hat other advantages are there to moving from the webmatrix ide to using VS2013 IDE

For me,  I like the ability to use a "Cusom Server" and a Base URL (http://projectname.mycompany.com) for my testing/development. My website isn't running on WebMatrix's built-in localhost, but on a full IIS installation.  And since it's a full IIS installation, I can have server bindings, I can check if my .htaccess rewrite rules are working, update other IIS features, etc.  

And come deployment time, I have high confidence that I can FTP upload the whole subdirectory, and it will work on the production server.

The NuGet Package Manager Console is also a feature I think is only available on VS. 

I don't think you need a big, powerful machine to run VS. I'm running Windows 7, VS2013, SQL2012 Server, IIS7.5 inside a virtual machine (w/ 4GB RAM) on a Mac OSX. 

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:34 PM
  • User-1416423428 posted

Learn. It's easy at a basic level. Just hit F9 when your cursor is on a line of code then hit F5 to run your app in debug mode. When your breakpoint is hit, click F10 to advance line by line through the rest of the code and look at the Locals window, or hover over vriables to find out their type, value etc.

Thanks mike. 

I still have one issue that prevents me from running debug, since my project files are stored on a networked file server (not on my local C: drive). I'm getting an "Failed to start monitoring changes... because the network BIOS command limit has been reached."  -- found some registry fix for these, just haven't tried them yet.  

the output gets injected at the beginning of the Response - before the opening HTML tag. Nasty habit.

i know. In a way it's easier to see LOL.  Nasty habits are hard to break. 

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:39 PM
  • User483055775 posted

Mike , thank you very much for this information - I am at a decision point for a product and this is very timely.

DonnieS

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:05 PM
  • User379720387 posted

I use both at the same time.

Database in open in WebMatrix

Code with debugger open in VS.

Two displays.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:30 PM
  • User483055775 posted

I do the same - though I have the database open in SSMS and the code in either VS or WebMatrix whichever I am using.   I thought I had a current vs2013 license - but it just told me I dont.  So if I convert my webmatrix app - it will have to be to vs2012.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:36 PM
  • User483055775 posted

I found that I did have the license for 2013 - just found it and now - wow - I moved the app that I started with webmatrix - into 2013 web pages 3 - its awesome, thanks for the push in the right direction.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:20 PM