none
How do I keep the app continue working with limited functionalities after trial expired? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the following code.

private void UpdatePurchaseApp() { #if DEBUG LicenseInformation licenseInformation = CurrentAppSimulator.LicenseInformation; #else LicenseInformation licenseInformation = CurrentApp.LicenseInformation; #endif if (licenseInformation.IsActive) {

//scenario 1 if (licenseInformation.IsTrial) { //Current license mode: Trial license PurchaseApp.Visibility = Visibility.Visible; //var remainingTrialTime = (licenseInformation.ExpirationDate - DateTime.Now).Days; //RemainingTime.Text = "Expires in " + remainingTrialTime + " days"; istrial = true; isactive = true; fileOptionsPanel.IsEnabled = true; //fullfeature = false; //trialorfullstring = "trial version"; //messagepopup("This is the trial version. If you like this app, please buy the app to offset the cost of development. I will continue to support and add new features. "); }

//scenario 2 else { //Current license mode: Full license PurchaseApp.Visibility = Visibility.Collapsed; istrial = false; isactive = true; fileOptionsPanel.IsEnabled = true; //fullfeature = true; //trialorfullstring = "full version"; } }

//scenario 3 else { //Current license mode: expired trial license PurchaseApp.Visibility = Visibility.Visible; var remainingTrialTime = (licenseInformation.ExpirationDate - DateTime.Now).Days; //RemainingTime.Text = "Expires in " + remainingTrialTime + " days"; istrial = true; isactive = false; fileOptionsPanel.IsEnabled = false; //fullfeature = false; //trialorfullstring = "trial version"; //messagepopup("This is the trial version. If you like this app, please buy the app to offset the cost of development. I will continue to support and add new features. "); } }

There are 3 scenarios.

1: Trial with full functionalities.

2: Purchased with full functionalities.

3: Trial expired.

It's the 3rd scenario that I have a question about.  I want the user to be able to keep using the app but with limited functionalities.  I'll just disable some functionalities.  I submitted the app a day ago.  Today, it says the trial period expired.  According to the code above, the app should continue to function.  But it doesn't.  There's an x at the lower right hand corner of the tile of the app and when I try to open it there's a popup that says "This app can't open check the Windows Store for more info about ..."

What must I do to keep the app working but with certain functionalities disabled?

Friday, June 20, 2014 3:10 PM

All replies

• This is expected. After the trial expires the user cannot launch the app.

What you want is a limited functionality trial. Make the trial not expire and limit the functionality while in trial mode. You can change the limits based on the time since the app was installed.

Friday, June 20, 2014 3:35 PM
  • What's to prevent people from reinstalling everytime it expires?
    Friday, June 20, 2014 5:54 PM
  • If you use Window's trial system then Windows will handle not allowing the app to start after the trial expires. The Windows licensing system will prevent reinstalls resetting trial mode.

If you're doing your own thing then you'll have to design your own method.

--Rob

Friday, June 20, 2014 7:39 PM