none
Access Exchange information without PowerShell? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have an application written in C#.NET 3.5.1 that queries the edition of Microsoft Exchange using PowerShell.

We have a problem now with Exchange 2013 that requires a newer version of PowerShell (and therefore .NET) to execute the Get-ExchangeServer cmdlet.

The cmdlets query the target Exchange server using WinRM under the hood.

1. Is it possible to bypass Powershell and query WinRM directly?
    2. Is this supported / documented?

Many Thanks!

Dave

David Homer

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 2:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• From what I've found, no, this is not documented or supported.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

Many of exchange commands can be substituted using LDAP calls. Almost, all exchange objects are stored in Active Directory (except a few, which are created in mailbox\public folder database). I also think that Get-ExchangeServer functionality can be written using LDAP calls. I would not suggest to resort to LDAP until it is very much required.

Kind Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Team Lead(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com

Thursday, January 1, 2015 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

We already read LDAP directly with our Exchange Server documentation tool.

The problem is certain information such as the Exchange server edition - Standard / Enterprise and information about the Database Availability Group networks are not available through LDAP hence why we want to get the information directly using WinRM.

Thanks,

Dave

David Homer

Monday, January 5, 2015 9:56 AM
  • Actually having looked into it the new .NET 4 requirements for Exchange 2013 only apply when you're running the cmdlets, by using PowerShell remoting you bypass these new requirements and execute using .NET 2/3.5.

Dave

CENTREL Solutions | Network Server Documentation

• Marked as answer by David Homer Wednesday, January 7, 2015 5:19 PM
    • Edited by David Homer Wednesday, January 14, 2015 5:18 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 5:19 PM