The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure App Service - Web Apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

How to setup custom domain name from 1&1 to Microsoft Azure website RRS feed

• Question

• We have registered a new custom domain name from 1&1 Internet (a domain registrar) and would like to know a step-by-step process of using that domain in our new azure website. There are generic procedures available but we would like to know the process **specific** to 1&1 and Microsoft Azure. Thanks.
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi namwam,

Since I don't have access to the 1&1 control center, I base this reply on information collected from these three help documents

Step by step CNAME

1. Go to the configure tab on the web site you want to configure a custom domain for. About half way down at the page, you have a button named "Manage custom domains". Click that one.
    2. In the text that pops up, you can see what value you have to configure on a CNAME record at 1&1. For example mynewwebsite.azurewebsites.net
    3. Note this value, and then go to your 1&1 Domain Center and create a new CNAME record for your domain, and add the mynewwebsite.azurewebsites.net value into the alias box. Click then Save
    4. Go back to the Azure portal, and the window we opened in step 1, and enter your newly configured DNS record into the Domain Name field. After a second or two you should get a green check mark. Then confirm the setting in Azure by clicking the check mark button.

That should be it. You should now be able to browse you website by typing your custom domain name in a web browser. The steps is very much alike for A records, but I personally prefer CNAMEs since they are less likely to change.

I hope this answer your question :)

/Anders Eide

Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:38 AM
  • We have registered a new custom domain name from 1&1 Internet (a domain registrar) and would like to know a step-by-step process of using that domain in our new azure website. There are generic procedures available but we would like to know the process **specific** to 1&1 and Microsoft Azure. Thanks.

I also have a similar problem with 1and1.com, I registered a domain, while trying to create a CNAME I was prompted that I cannot create a CNAME on my Domain but Only on my Subdomain, so I'm really confused on exactly what to do, Though I have created a sub-domain and created a Cname which I  Pointed mynewwebsite.azurewebsites.net to it

Buit it never worked, I tested this with my domain yourname.com and also the subdomain I created, Nothing really went through.

Please we nee a Professional Who is able to configure Microsoft azure with 1and1.com to help share step by step procedures a newbie can understand. As there is presently no  solutions for these Online. I have searched almost every tech forum

Thanks

Saturday, May 23, 2015 11:21 AM
  • @mamwam Kindly let me know if you have found solution to this challenge, aso as to help others, I'm presently in them same challenge.

Cheers

Monday, May 25, 2015 11:11 AM
  • The solution for one and one, is to...

Login to the One and One control panel 

Create a subdomain named (awverify.yourdomain.com) which contains a CNAME record that points back to your azure website URL 

So if my domain was say, 123abc.com

I'd create a subdomain called "awverify.123abc.com" and in it, create a CNAME record with the value "awverify.123abc.azurewebsites.net"

Save that and wait 10 - 15 minutes to let it all propogate

Then in azure, you can just click "Bring External Domain" on your web app and it will add it

Worked for me at least, the first thing you'll notice is that http://123abc.com will redirect you to your azure URL, best fix for that is URL re-writing, probably

• Edited by CloudMonkey Thursday, December 10, 2015 1:36 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 1:35 AM
  • ** THIS ANSWER WILL WORK ONLY FOR SUBDOMAINS WITH 1AND1. 

FOLLOW THIS LINK AND THE COMMENTS BELOW,

This tutorial is not clear or clearly explains the difference between 'MAPPING A CUSTOM - DOMAIN  VS SUBDOMAIN'.  

Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:42 AM